SAKO 1944 M39 Civil Guard rifle

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

SAKO 1944 M39 Civil Guard rifle

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Another one from about three years back, 1944 SAKO Sky with Civil Guard number. Note that the wartime stock is 1944 dated and there are some small dimples were someone pressed the tip of the firing pin into the wood to strip the bolt. The bore is spotless and while I don't recall how well it shot I know it was under 2 MOA as all of my M39's shoot at least that well.

I found the original post from early 2008, this was a late 2007 find.
Had this one for a few weeks, and am finally getting around to cleaning it up today, been a little busy lately. It's a 1944 SAKO SK.Y M39 in a 1943 SK.Y crack free wartime stock, The bore is brand new, no better way to describe it, bluing worn to about 70%, and the bolt along with the floorplate are Finn matched to the barrel. It's got a beautiful trigger pull, but then again it seems all of these rifles do. For some strange reason this rifle was import marked as a 98/22 Check Mauser, strangest looking Mauser I ever saw. There is a Civil Guard number on the side of the barrel on this one. The parts are all soaking in solvent this afternoon so it didn't make it down to the range this time. We have been having a January thaw that has melted some of the ice on my range so I drove a Dodge Ramcharger down into the slop, popped open the rear hatch, and fired some of the other M39's out the back over the top of the rear seat, worked out OK, the hatch didn't come down as I was firing, that would have caused problems. I could only manage 90 yards or so that way, but the 1941, and 1943 SAko's were delivering sub MOA performance with the Hungarian silver tip. So far these are the only M39's from my recent buys that have been range tested, they both outshoot my US M1903/A3's, prior to this the A3's were my most accurate milsurps, absolutely incredible performance, I am impressed with these rifles. Both cycle the bolt smoothly, have smooth (probably around 3-4 pound trigger pulls, maybe better that break very crisp) triggers, spotless bores, and sights a blind man could use without difficulty.

Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Re: SAKO 1944 M39 Civil Guard rifle

Post by desdem12 »

8-) 8-)
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

A 1944 dated rifle that still made it to the Civil Guard?!? Nice!!
The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It would have been among the last of them.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

8-) 8-) 8-)
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Moved
Theodore Roosevelt
bb91

Post by bb91 »

Very nice crisp stock cartouche. :thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Note that it's a 43 stock on a '44 rifle, post war rebuild possibly.
Theodore Roosevelt
Flyin Brian

Post by Flyin Brian »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Note that it's a 43 stock on a '44 rifle, post war rebuild possibly.
JYD, of all the 1944 SKY M39s I have seen, none of them had a '44 cartouche, so I'm wondering if they even stamped any with '44 at all since there were so few made?

Good looking rifle!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Possibly not as the Civil Guard was disbanded by treaty in 1944.
Theodore Roosevelt
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

:Drool1: :thumbsup:
Formerly kyle514

History admires the wise, but elevates the brave. - Edmund Morris
bb91

Post by bb91 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Note that it's a 43 stock on a '44 rifle, post war rebuild possibly.
Like FB said, never seen a "44" dated stock out of the many rifles "for sale", all that were in "correct" stocks had "42" or "43" dated Civil Guard stock cartouches.

The "44" dated rifle I owned was also in a 42 dated stock, my others are appropriately matched.

Nice rifle JYD.
Celt

Post by Celt »

8-) 8-) 8-)
I'm running out of wows for your wonderful collection boss! :thumbsup:
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Theodore Roosevelt
bb91

Post by bb91 »

Saweet!!!!!! :thumbsup: :pointup: :thumbsup: :Drool1:

Thanks, JYD! Nice video.
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

Your killing me with these M39's......simply freeking beautiful.
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Some nice furnishings in that vid. Loved the log table. :vcool: :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I saw that and was thinking how I wouldn't want to help these guys move :lol: must weigh three hundred pounds.
Theodore Roosevelt