1953 Izhevsk

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Bareassmeagain

1953 Izhevsk

Post by Bareassmeagain »

While we are talking about Izhevsk's Here is my 53 Izhevsk. See the dust cover where the factory mill must have slightly moved when creating the Izhevsk circle. Kinda intresting but I guess I got one of a kind. :vconfused: Enjoy the Pics. BAMA

And No, The stamped B.O. does not stand for who you think it does :roll:

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: 1953 Izhevsk

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nice Izhevsk SKS :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

Bout time Bama. One of the SKS Holy Grails.
Happiness is owning Swedish Mausers!
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Nice one Bama! That one is as clean and crisp as they come! Nice clear markings and a gorgeous stock!

Beautiful SKS!
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

Great pics.
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
Woodbeef

Post by Woodbeef »

Another nice non-refurbed 53 Izhevsk. But like all the ones I've had and seen,none are ruby red. I wonder if there was a bad batch of shellac at Izhevsk in 1953?
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Some of the most intense collectors of the SKS cannot claim ownership of the 1953 dated Izhevsk, and then to find a non-refurbished is just the icing on the cake.

Some day, I'll ... :sad:

Not sure if the logos on the covers were milled? Or (more likely) roll stamped?
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
Woodbeef

Post by Woodbeef »

Yup they're stamped covers. Just look on the underside and you'll see.
Bareassmeagain

Post by Bareassmeagain »

Are you guys talking about the bolt carrier and or the dust cover ? I can take better pics if needed. I do believe it is a light referb do to the bolt carrier. Right ? The only thing is ive never seen a 53 with differant stampings on either. But I really dont know what im looking for in a 53 non referb either :roll:
boomer34

Post by boomer34 »

A very special rifle to have under any circumstances. When you refer to the bolt carrier as indicating a light refurb are you refering to the light stamp that is part of a square with a diagional directly below the 5?
Drago

Post by Drago »

Bareassmeagain wrote:Are you guys talking about the bolt carrier and or the dust cover ? I can take better pics if needed. I do believe it is a light referb do to the bolt carrier. Right ? The only thing is ive never seen a 53 with differant stampings on either. But I really dont know what im looking for in a 53 non referb either :roll:
It isn't a refurb because of that square looking stamping on the bolt carrier, that's just some inspection mark, but it does look to have been lightly reshellac'd, as evidenced by the darker "fill" inside of all of the cartouches and buttstock stampings. If I am right about it being reshellac'd and I may be wrong, I wonder if it was done by the Russians or by a previous owner. By the color of the shellac, I'm guessing the Russians, but if so, why did they not sand everything, as would be more common.

I think it's a wonderful specimen, refurb or not. My feelings on refurb vs non-refurb have evolved to the point where, personally, I'd rather have a nice refurb. Of course, that's coming from someone who recently sold all his non-refurbs, save one Izhevsk. :)
Last edited by Drago on Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
acl864

Post by acl864 »

That is one nice Izhevsk. I agree with Drago, the darker fill in the stampings may indicate that some refinishing was done on the stock... but who cares. For all intents and purposes an as-issued '53 Izhevsk in mint condition. That is a BEAUTIFUL firearm!!!

:Drool1: Now I'll go get some towels to clean up the drool on my keyboard.
Bareassmeagain

Post by Bareassmeagain »

Thanks for all the complements gentleman :)

Boomer, Yes I was refering to the little stamp plus the way the serial numbers are stamped on the carrier. they just looked a thiner sharper stamp from most others.

I wish I didnt live so far away from Outlaw Id go get its 54 younger brother then id have the set . But im not chancing on him being that bad of a shot.
Bareassmeagain

Post by Bareassmeagain »

Drago wrote:
Bareassmeagain wrote:Are you guys talking about the bolt carrier and or the dust cover ? I can take better pics if needed. I do believe it is a light referb do to the bolt carrier. Right ? The only thing is ive never seen a 53 with differant stampings on either. But I really dont know what im looking for in a 53 non referb either :roll:
It isn't a refurb because of that square looking stamping on the bolt carrier, that's just some inspection mark, but it does look to have been lightly reshellac'd, as evidenced by the darker "fill" inside of all of the cartouches and buttstock stampings. If I am right about it being reshellac'd and I may be wrong, I wonder if it was done by the Russians or by a previous owner. By the color of the shellac, I'm guessing the Russians, but if so, why did they not sand everything, as would be more common.

I think it's a wonderful specimen, refurb or not. My feelings on refurb vs non-refurb have evolved to the point where, personally, I'd rather have a nice refurb. Of course, that's coming from someone who recently sold all his refurbs, save one Izhevsk. :)

Your the man DRAGO. I always love reading your German evaluations. Maybe you have blond hair and blue eyes ? :D
Slick Driver

Post by Slick Driver »

And she's even prettier in person fella's....got to fondle that one....yep I did!!

But, he kept me handcuffed to his truck during my inspection! What's up w/that!
howiebearse

Post by howiebearse »

as all above said a hard one to find and especially in original issue condition. I find that Izhevesk guns tend to show up with blonde color wood . I have all but the 49 and none are original issue all are refurbed but I do not have a hang up on that I am always glad to get a example and love the fact its been there and done that:)
boomer34

Post by boomer34 »

howie-I assume you are referring to the Tula 49 that you do not have.

My 53 Izhevsk refurb stands in stark contrast to the outstanding 53 we are viewing. Mine appears to be in very good condition but has the refurb mark and the laminated stock.

Would that I might someday own a 53 original. After Martin, of course. :roll:
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

You better see that 53 before Matt does, or you won't get it. :D

I swear, the guy must have some auto-search that locates every item he sets it to look for. :lol:
Happiness is owning Swedish Mausers!