My Dad gave me a Mosin 91/59, what is it?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
travelinmatt76

My Dad gave me a Mosin 91/59, what is it?

Post by travelinmatt76 »

So my Dad gave me a 1941 Mosin 91/59 but he didn't know anything about it. I've read as much as I can find, but I thought I would seek out help. What do I have here, is this a "good one", is it worth anything? I haven't shot it yet, just don't have the time right now. He says he paid $50 10 years ago from somebody else who didn't know anything about it. Thanks!

Thanks again!
shoto2758

Re: My Dad gave me a Mosin 91/59, what is it?

Post by shoto2758 »

I wish someone would give me a 91/59,and yes,it is worth something..they are at a premium (around $300)
you have a very nice one,hang on to it,and thank your dad.
Excellent.
:thumbsup:
Do Not Think Of Winning.
Think,Rather,Of Not Losing

Gichin Funakoshi
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

very good looking rifle.
Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

Looks like a 1941 Izhevsk? Yeah that's a nice one.
The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130
Joeinthehills

Post by Joeinthehills »

Hum, 10 years ago @ $50.00 and now worth $300.00 I would have said that's better than a CD investment or stocks :lol: :thumbsup:
john_the_plinker

Post by john_the_plinker »

Very nice! Non 1943 dated ones are actually fairly uncommon.
The 91/59 is a 91/30 that has been cutdown to carbine size. The big indicator that it is a 91/59 is the 91/30 rear sight that has had the range markings over 1000 meters machined off.
These have a reputation for being good accurate shooters, both of mine are. Partly because most have been unused the conversion was done so the crown hasn't had a chance to get buggered up by improper cleaning, also most seem to have a little work done to the trigger.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

What is it? It's a 91/59 just like you said, you have it right. These were built from M91/30 long rifles, they cut them down to M38 carbine size. The 91/59 has the reputation of being a good shooter, the work was well done by whoever did it. Good luck finding one for under $300 now, that's a hell of a nice start to a Mosin collection.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Ya that is a hell of a gift. Forget the price, its tough just to find one for sale. I've seen three locally in the last three years or so. I own two of them and bunkysdad owns the other one. :Drool1: :thumbsup:
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
davesstuff1

Post by davesstuff1 »

:Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
David M Gellatly
Savannah, GA. 31419
gellatlydave@yahoo.com
travelinmatt76

Post by travelinmatt76 »

Well now I'm torn. I was going to sell the rifle to fund my other expensive hobbies, but now I just don't know. Thanks for everybody's quick response though.
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

Can't say much more than what has already been said about it. Congrats on the fantastic acquisition & please do not make any "improvements" to her. Keep her as she sits and she will continue to appreciate in value. :Drool1: 8-) :thumbsup:
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

travelinmatt76 wrote:Well now I'm torn. I was going to sell the rifle to fund my other expensive hobbies, but now I just don't know. Thanks for everybody's quick response though.
My vote is for you to hang on to it. But if you do decide to sell it post it on here so it will go to a good home. I'm sure it would sell pretty quick. But once its gone its gone.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Nice dad for sure :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Matt :welcome3: to the forum. Nice gift from your Dad for sure. Hope you hang around for a while and soak up some of the history on the Mosin Nagant.
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

One of my favorite uses of the carbine length Mosins is to pull them out when the guy next to you on the range starts shooting with a compensator. Blast away with the Mosin and show him what muzzle blast is all about!
We have met the enemy and he is us.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Do you have a job? If you do you should fund your expensive hobbies with your paycheck, not a very nice gift from your dad. I don't know how old your dad is, but definitely put yourself in his shoes and think about what he was thinking when he gave it to you. If you think he gave it to you to sell it, then by all means sell it. If you think he gave it to you to remember and appreciate him by, then I would not sell for a sack of gold. Just something to think about from a dad's point of view.
travelinmatt76

Post by travelinmatt76 »

I am definitely considering keeping it know, but I just don't know. It wasn't a father passing something on to his son type of gift. It wasn't a gift at all. He just said he had an extra rifle and asked if I wanted it. My paychecks go towards fixing up the house we bought 2 years ago, and also to the fence I'm building this year. I usually find stuff to sell if I want say a new police scanner, or a nice gaming computer, or an old tube ham radio which is what I'm trying to buy right now. Thanks for everybody's help. I looked how cheap the ammo is and it really is making me think of keeping it. I've always wanted a rifle, I have handguns and a shotgun, but this is the only rifle I have. And I would have to find something else to sell to get another one so who knows.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

With a new house and all there often isn't much paycheck left for rifles. We do the same thing too just to get the next can of ammo, as these tend to get hungry. I thought maybe you were a student or something. You can shoot it sometime and see if you like it, and that might help you decide, but your dad bought it back when they were cheap and more plentiful and before they became so highly prized by by a group of guys suffering from "Mosinitis". If you decide to shoot it or if it has been shoot already it will need to be cleaned good, as the ammo is corrosive and can cause the bore to rust.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Welcome and nice carbine :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

91/59's are fairly rare and as indicated above they were cut down 9130's. In most cases they are virtually brand new rifles with the exception they were made from other rifles. But cutting the barrel down was a cheap and easy way to acquire a better or really good bore. That's probably why the Russians did it. What to do with all of these 9130's with shot out and corroded muzzles? Oh, I know, let's make a carbine and cheap too. Cheap for them but not for us, at least now. An entry price just to get you in the game is $300. They most always end up selling for more. They are good shooters and usually have impeccable bores There are many on this forum who would kill to have one of these. Keep it and enjoy it. Your dad made a wise choice purchasing this rifle and selling his gift would not, in my mind, be the thing to do. :2cents:
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

That is a rifle that will not likely be replaced easily. Having said that, if you did decide to let it go, there are guys here who would give a fair price for it and it would have a good home.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
-George Washington