two issued Vintovka 1891/30

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

two issued Vintovka 1891/30

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Vintovka 1891/30's 1927 ex Kazachya I dragunskaya vintovka, and 1935 Izhevsk. Both of these rifles were refurbished after WW2 and sent back into service. The stocks look to have a bit of a shine, but that's just the lemon oil I treated them with, they have been stored away for some time. No shellac on either one, bluing is worn, there are stock repairs, and soldiers carvings. There are cleaning rods in both, but I added them from the spare parts bin, none of my issued rifles had cleaning rods, nor had they had them for many years judging by the dirt packed into the retaining nuts and channels. The numbers match, force matched at the last refurb, the bores on these two are excellent, barrel crowns do not show excessive wear, and both are excellent shooters. All of my issued rifles seem to be sighted in at 100 yards as they hit dead on at that range, and are not sighted in to be shot with the bayonet mounted.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Re: two issued Vintovka 1891/30

Post by desdem12 »

8-) 8-)
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Here they are again :)
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Time for a cold shower... :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

These are two of my regular 91/30 shooters, the '27 went along on the last range trip.
Theodore Roosevelt
SDH1903

Post by SDH1903 »

Love em both especially the repair on the one!-Steve
Celt

Post by Celt »

Love beat up rifles! :D
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Another nice set JYD! :thumbsup: :Drool1:
Formerly kyle514

History admires the wise, but elevates the brave. - Edmund Morris
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That's the largest repair I have on any of the rifles :)
Theodore Roosevelt
Longview

Post by Longview »

:D :D I have a soft spot for grunt rifles like these. It's that history channel thing. There's that connection between the soldier and the rifle that my typical Mosin refurbs lack. I had a Mauser that had a whole bunch of stories to tell, from the looks of it. I like the 3 line repair :biggrin: Vintage, no nonsense work.
~Longview
"You can never get enough of what you don't need to make you happy." - Eric Hoffer
bb91

Post by bb91 »

Sweet rifles JYD.

Interesting patina on the 1927 it seems a bit odd to see with the refurbishment stamp and so many fresh refurbs on the market. :thumbsup:

I have a "27" "Finned" dragoon that looks newer. :)

Curious, does yours have the 00 stamp on the side of the barrel, I cant see it in the pic.s and don't know it's meaning?
Last edited by bb91 on Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The Soviets didn't have near enough M44's to arm all their troops and they ware still fighting partisans on Russian soil for years after WW2 as well as occupying other countries. Some refurbs went back into service rather than storage. This is one of a series of issued Mosins I picked up five years ago. It has the OO stamp, most do, current knowledge assumes this to be an accuracy proof, could be, but like anything to do with these rifles it is subject to change should new research uncover some other meaning.
Theodore Roosevelt
bb91

Post by bb91 »

Ahhhh! that explains alot, thank you sir! :) :)