number on top of sight

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
jimpierce7

number on top of sight

Post by jimpierce7 »

On the top of the front sight on my M39 is the number 78. Is that actually 7.8? I've learned they come in different sizes. Maybe an 8.5 will improve mine?
jonnyboy091373

Re: number on top of sight

Post by jonnyboy091373 »

An 8.5 would help your point of aim move from 6 o'clock to more on target. The one that is on yours now was put there at the arsenal so it would shoot well and spot on for 6 o'clock hold.
At least that's how I understand it.
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

The barrel should also have a number stamped on it so if the sight ever gets lost, you will know what one to replace it with.

Kollaa kestää
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

The import mark almost covered it up. It is a matching number so I will keep the original quite safe. The group she shoots is real tight. I just aim at the bottom of the target to hit the top at 100 yards.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

These sights were set for battle distances and not our mostly 100 yard ranges and in my case eyes. Anything over that these days must be very big for me to hit it! Bill :lol:
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

I have two target sizes I use, one is larger than the other. So much so, as I have been told and am not so sure I believe, The big one at 200 yards looks like the little one at 100 yards. I'm going to try and remember to use the 200 yard range the last Sunday this month. Just to see if I can hit the paper. lol