gun socks

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
jeremyb

gun socks

Post by jeremyb »

I thought about getting a few of these. Are these ok for long term storage in the back of the safe?

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/p ... k&i=758473

thanks in advance

JB
BubbaDX

Re: gun socks

Post by BubbaDX »

I have a collector friend that swears by silicone treated gun socks and he collects some pretty high dollar firearms. Myself, I do not use them for long term storage.

"Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty. The obedient must be slaves." - Henry David Thoreau
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
bocephus

Post by bocephus »

Amazon has good prices on them. I like to use them so I don't bump the stocks into each other while getting them in and out.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The bore stores I get from Cabelas are similar, justthicker, I have used them for near 20 years with no problems.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
jeremyb

Post by jeremyb »

thanks guys. I got one to try. I got a gift card to gander for my birthday. I'm going to put this one on my shot gun that comes out of the safe once every other year. I always seam to be bumping something into it, and this may offer some protection..

thanks

jb
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

I bought one, used it once, it ended up going to Mike with the M44 he bought from me, lol... I may get a couple more, I have a few rifles with good shellac on them, be smart to protect them.
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

bocephus wrote:Amazon has good prices on them. I like to use them so I don't bump the stocks into each other while getting them in and out.
I use them for the same reason, reduce the nicks and scratches. History on a rifle is fine but when it's my history not so good. Not sure if they would promote corrosion by trapping moisture, in my climate never an issue though I always make sure everything stored in one has a good coating of oil.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
gurn

Post by gurn »

:pointup:

Thats the trick. I have a nice coating of Fluid Film on all of my stuff.
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
Jbob

Post by Jbob »

I love them and have about all my rifles wrapped in them. Every time I pass through Wally World I grab a few for $5.oo each and lay them back for future purchases.
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

I was just going to ask about these. Being as I have 9 guns in an 8 gun safe (I'm betting on 10 before too long) I want them with something on them. I was going to ask where, but that has been answered. Amazon is kind of cool.
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

I use them as well, someone on Amazon had them in a lot of 6 socks, it was a little cheaper per piece last time I did that. I want to say like 20 couple bucks for 6 socks, just order 12 socks to get over 35 bucks and get free shipping :thumbsup:
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
Jbob

Post by Jbob »

For long term storage these could help things I'm sure. There are thick and thin types out there to buy but most all have silicone added for protection. I myself have 4 heated safes and still rest knowing most all my rifles have this type of sock for extra care, even the old beaters. I don't do long term storage, everything comes out at least once a year for a good rubdown of my favorite lube. I've used these so long that I can now tell by the feel which rifle is which, kind of a game I play anymore. :lol:
I've always been pleased with the price and value of socks.
Gsragtop

Post by Gsragtop »

My wife makes me keep my stash in the garage, I also have about 14 or 15 rifles in a 10 rifle cabinate. I am in the process of putting all of my rifles in socks, to protect against rust and dings.
Jbob

Post by Jbob »

Gsragtop wrote:My wife makes me keep my stash in the garage, I also have about 14 or 15 rifles in a 10 rifle cabinate. I am in the process of putting all of my rifles in socks, to protect against rust and dings.
For the price of a nice rifle please buy yourself a safe with a heater for the garage storage. Strip that thing out and you can place twice or more rifles in them than called for. :wink:
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

I used them for years when travelling to gun shows with multiple rifles. Then I found thicker much more padded ones for less money, about $3 each from a guy who hits all the shows. I bought about 30 of them and now 10 years later I am still using them. He has disappeared and the only ones I see like them now are like $7 or $8 a piece but the are still padded inside and are like a corduroy or grey or brown color fabric. I don't store anything with in gun sacks of any kind due to moving them from truck to shop to show and being afraid to have condensation form on them. Best thing for storage I have found is either RIG grease or Balistoll Oil and that is what I use in a golden rod equipped safe and heated somewhat shop. Those socks ;like you show do not hold up long in travelling with rifles as they real quick get what looks like moth holes in them and don't protect worth a dam in travel bumps. The thicker more padded ones are the way to travel but wither way the sacks have to breath and allow air to travel through them. By the way Silicone is not good for wood while it will protect it, it also seals the wood and will not allow it to breath like it should to avoid cracks and such. Bill :wink:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The bore stores I use are up around $18-$25 now, and I am short a good 20 or more . I buy six or seven a year , some of the oldest ones are starting to wear out from many trips to the range.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt