What's your take on this one?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Sonny

Re: What's your take on this one?

Post by Sonny »

Well it looks rough to me but then beauty is in the eye of the beholder.. :wink:
jeremyb

Post by jeremyb »

I don't know, but it looks pretty sweet.. I look forward to seeing what others say about it. Did you win the bid? I would have taken it for that price.

JB
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

It is well worth 83 bucks.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

my take is that it is sold...........
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

I like ones that look like that. Great price.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
ffeng31

Post by ffeng31 »

Nice early import. I'd have bought it. Congrats.
Jim

redeuce

Post by redeuce »

I wonder how I missed that one. Must be getting old.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I would be wary of it because of bad fotos. It would be worth a try at 83 bucks however. The stock has clearly been refurbed but who is to say the rifle was cause there is no shank shot.
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

desdem12 wrote:I would be wary of it because of bad fotos. It would be worth a try at 83 bucks however. The stock has clearly been refurbed but who is to say the rifle was cause there is no shank shot.
It had additional photos in the comments. 1939 Tula. Kind of rough but been there done that look.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: I missed that then
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Gsragtop

Post by Gsragtop »

Well bought I would say.. Wonder what happened to the bluing?? I mean it's all gone, how does that happen??
bocephus

Post by bocephus »

I am not the winning bidder, I passed on it since I wasn't sure what the deal with it is. I do see a refurb stamp on the butt stock.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Well look at it this way, $83 for the rifle which is rough as a cob, $30 for shipping, a unknown amount for transfer fees say $25, and maybe the 9% for taxes in CA. Add that up and you are paying well maybe $150 for a parts rifle in rough shape. I would not have trouble walking away from that at all. To each their own I guess. Bill :o
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

I was watching that one but couldn't bring myself to bid on it. I might have been more interested if it had a correct stock.
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That's one of the Romanian hoard 91/30's we saw come in back in the 90's, they all had that look. I bought a pile of them, they didn't have the cleaning rods, and from the dirt impacted in the rod channel they had been in the field like that for a long time. No shellac is the common look, silver bluing also. Mine are almost all good shooters, they tend to have well worked in actions, they shoot straight without bayonets mounted, overall as close as you will get to a issued Mosin as they were in 1945 before the refurb without buying a Finn.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

desdem12 wrote:I would be wary of it because of bad fotos. It would be worth a try at 83 bucks however. The stock has clearly been refurbed but who is to say the rifle was cause there is no shank shot.
The rifle has been refurbed, it has the extra pin in the rear sight base.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Very nearly all of the Romanian rifles were Soviet aid post refurb. An example of refurbs going back into the field rather than a cave in Ukraine. Most of mine have at least the metal refurb stamp like this 1942 Izhevsk
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt