What kind of accuracy can you expect out of a finnish mosin?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
sbaker5

What kind of accuracy can you expect out of a finnish mosin?

Post by sbaker5 »

Im thinking of buying à Finnish mosin nagant but I'm curious what kind of accuracy is typical both with surplus ball ammo and new match ammo.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: What kind of accuracy can you expect out of a finnish mo

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

A great deal depends on the skill of the shooter, someone with no skill can still miss a target at 50 yards with even the best rifle in the world. I have limited shooting skills, getting older, my eyesight is crap, arthritis, back issues, yet I can still keep a tight group on the paper at 100 yards with the M39 and commie surplus ammo. Sometimes that group has been as small as 2 MOA, however that is my rifle, and I have shot tens of thousands of rounds out of hundreds of rifles over many years.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

My personal expectations are high for say a m39. But it depends on what rifle it is. I have a sweet shooting m91 vkt that will shoot nats ass. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

When you say Finn Mosin you cover a wide gamut of different rifles and all in different shape bore wise and many other things enter into it. The ammo is quite critical and different rifles like different ammo. For instance many people dislike the light ball ammo and it shoots just great for me which is good because that is the predominant ammo I have on hand. I like the sight picture from the old M91 sights and many people do not like it. There are just too many things to consider to make a definitive statement. Just buy one and try to get a decent bore and go shoot the puppy and experiment around a bit but try to be patient! Carlos Hathcock's are few and far between so don't expect to be the one around just now! Good Luck! Bill :wink:
Judi and her Mosins

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

:soapbox:
Skill of the shooter is the bottom line. Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Judi and her Mosins wrote::soapbox:
Unless of course you know how to use "the Force" to guide that bullet to it's target :biggrin:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
timlin33

Post by timlin33 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:
Judi and her Mosins wrote::soapbox:
Unless of course you know how to use "the Force" to guide that bullet to it's target :biggrin:
Thank you Obi Wan............ :lol:
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Rephrased, the question could read: what kind of time can I get in the quarter-mile with my new Chevrolet.
But to give you the best answer I can you should expect very good accuracy from a Finn M39 of 1-3 moa, depending on many variables. Other models may be different. Have you bought your Finn yet, or are you making plans for the near future?
ModelAUZI

Post by ModelAUZI »

I think they all shoot great. Mosins are all great guns. I think if you find a good shooter you'll stay with it.
"There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period."
- Ted Nugent