Historic Finnish consumables......NOT VODKA!!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
berkmberk1

Historic Finnish consumables......NOT VODKA!!

Post by berkmberk1 »

Any history nuts out there? Like DUH!!! I have two questions 1) While cleaning the preservative out of one of my recent purchases, I notice it has a distinct pine oil smell. What's in the 20th century Finnish version of "cosmoline"? 2) I read somewhere recently that one edge the Finns had on the Reds during extreme cold weather combat ops was that they didn't use oil in their weapons chambers, but a glycerine and ??? mixture. I guess the Reds had many an "OOPS" experiences when their Mosins went BANG and they then couldn't get their bolts open with a sledgehammer. What is in the Finn mixture?

Mike
SFC USA Ret.
1976-1998
Armor, Cavalry, Infantry, Recruiting, Transportation
1st Cav, 4 ID, 8 ID, 82d Airborne
desdem12

Re: Historic Finnish consumables......NOT VODKA!!

Post by desdem12 »

Pine tar beeswax and something else. There have been many a pine needle left in the rifles too. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
berkmberk1

Post by berkmberk1 »

desdem12 wrote:Pine tar beeswax and something else. There have been many a pine needle left in the rifles too. :D
For all you guys that have wives giving you grief over collecting MNs, just tell them you're stocking up on Finnish "AIR FRESHENERS". :pointup:
SFC USA Ret.
1976-1998
Armor, Cavalry, Infantry, Recruiting, Transportation
1st Cav, 4 ID, 8 ID, 82d Airborne
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Pine tar was part of some original Finnish stock finishes, and part of the Finn Wax mix also. I have found pine needles in some of my Mosins, but none of them smelled like pine.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Pine tar was part of some original Finnish stock finishes, and part of the Finn Wax mix also. I have found pine needles in some of my Mosins, but none of them smelled like pine.
I got an M44 from Widener's a while back and the damn thing smelled like cinnamon! Seriously, when I picked it up from the shop and they opened the box to do the transfer the entire shop instantly smelled like cinnamon! Everyone in the shop got funny looks on their faces and asked if the rifle smelled like cinnamon. Sure enough it did! :lol: To this day I have no idea why it smelled the way it did. I don't think cinnamon vodka is something most Russians would drink so it beats me what the heck the source of the cinnamon was.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

My guess is that it was in the vicinity of a worker at the importer who had a snack attack while boxing the rifle. Cinnamon donut time.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:My guess is that it was in the vicinity of a worker at the importer who had a snack attack while boxing the rifle. Cinnamon donut time.
Cinnamon, marketing of Mosins aimed towards women, no offense intended Judi :)
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Judi and her Mosins

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

etprescottazusa91 wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:My guess is that it was in the vicinity of a worker at the importer who had a snack attack while boxing the rifle. Cinnamon donut time.
Cinnamon, marketing of Mosins aimed towards women, no offense intended Judi :)

:soapbox:
None taken,..I went to pick up a pizza one nite. As I stood in line smelling of cosmoline after cleaning my Polish M-44. My friend Shannon walked up, looked at me and said "Judi, you smell like those Mosins". I grinned and said, "Someone has to". So, cinnamon is ok, but to get me on a date I am wearing cosmoline. Keeps the creeps away. :brolleyes: Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I would believe you if you said a Mosin made your donut smell like cosmoline, but come on man!