Illinois resident needs gunshop search location ideas!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
WeldonHunter

Re: Illinois resident needs gunshop search location ideas!

Post by WeldonHunter »

jungleking wrote:Was at Cabelas today, finally got a day off to buy cleaning supplies and ammo for the 91/30 I was able to snag. Of course there were no AR's or AK's to speak of but i did notice that they had 3 M44's out on display. That is a big turn around from the last time I was there. I was only able to handle one since they had just move the other two for someone at the counter to look at. Unfortunately, I had to resist the urge to buy it because that was not why I was there(And the wife would be mad if I came home with another). planned on buying a bulk spam can or two, ended up getting two 20 round boxes of Herters since the ammo has been pretty much been picked clean of the higher caliber and bulk variety.

anyway, thanks for the help, Hope to be able to put a few rounds down range soon.

Anybody have leads on ammo? would like to get more.

Not in your area but if you look here http://gun-deals.com/ammo.php?caliber=7.62x54R there's some available online. Click the descriptions in the left column to get to a link for the vendors page.
jungleking

Post by jungleking »

WeldonHunter wrote:Not in your area but if you look here http://gun-deals.com/ammo.php?caliber=7.62x54R there's some available online. Click the descriptions in the left column to get to a link for the vendors page.
Thank you for that! found it cheap from AIM according to the list. ordered a 880rd case from them, with shipping equates to about $0.21 a round which in my book is not bad considering the climate of the market. This should last me a while.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

jungleking wrote:
WeldonHunter wrote:Not in your area but if you look here http://gun-deals.com/ammo.php?caliber=7.62x54R there's some available online. Click the descriptions in the left column to get to a link for the vendors page.
Thank you for that! found it cheap from AIM according to the list. ordered a 880rd case from them, with shipping equates to about $0.21 a round which in my book is not bad considering the climate of the market. This should last me a while.
Sweet!! This stuff is being affected by the buying frenzy too. It's no where near as bad as .223/5.56 but most places are selling out fast when the put it up. I search for new sources everyday. SGAmmo put up 500 880rd crates the other day and it lasted about a day. That much .223 would only last hours.
jungleking

Post by jungleking »

Wow, how time flies! Sorry for pulling up a dormant thread but I'm itching to get my hands on something again. I was thinking of making my way to the Cabelas in Hazelwood at some point in the next few weeks. Any Missouri or Illinois residents have any issues using your FFL03 there? How bout anywhere else in the surrounding area? Be the first time whipping the C&R out so knowing what I may be getting into helps.

Thanks!

Caution,.....This is an old dug up thread! :chuckles: :thumbsup:
Mike

Post by Mike »

Mid America will not recognize a C&R, they say it is not worth the trouble. ?
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1941 Tula Nagant Revolver
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53
berkmberk1

Post by berkmberk1 »

Should not be a problem, provided you can deal with any waiting period there is. (Theoretically non-existant if you have a license.). Check these out: http://www.nssf.org/factsheets/PDF/Cont ... strict.pdf
and http://www.atf.gov/firearms/industry/ti ... -2010.html. However, the advantage of doing the app and paying the cash is well worth it for the freedom you get with a C&R license. All you have to do is record your purchases and avoid turning over your collection in any way that looks like your dealing. If you collect like I do, selling any item will be rare.
SFC USA Ret.
1976-1998
Armor, Cavalry, Infantry, Recruiting, Transportation
1st Cav, 4 ID, 8 ID, 82d Airborne
jungleking

Post by jungleking »

Mike wrote:Mid America will not recognize a C&R, they say it is not worth the trouble. ?
That's unfortunate to hear about this establishment. Figured with the business they get, they would be on top of everything. How much different is the transfer paperwork between a C&R and a transfer to a ffl01 anyway?