Want to start loading,have some stuff

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
gurn

Want to start loading,have some stuff

Post by gurn »

I bought a Swiss m1889 so I have decided to finally get into loading. I have wanted to learn but never got around to it. I even have a few things (most of it pictured below) I picked up at a yard sale years back. It also came with 30-06 and 30 carbind dies and a bunch of trays and other do-dads. I know I will need Swiss dies, do I need to stick with the same brand dies as the presses? One press is a RCBS the other is a Lyman. I had this stuff stored in the barn so I need to clean a little light rust off. What is the small device in pic below the scale, the one with the green handle? I have a friend that loads that is going to teach me but any advice from you all would be greatly appreciated.
ImageImage
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
berkmberk1

Re: Want to start loading,have some stuff

Post by berkmberk1 »

Dies are a standard size externally. From the angle of the picture, the other tool reminds me of a Berdan de-capper, though I could be wrong. You've got some pretty heavy duty presses there. I started off with a single die press........slow, but very good to learn on, as working with certain dies requires that you adjust them. Using a multi-die turret press could be somewhat confusing......or not. I've pulled my stuff out after a number of years myself...........its not only the dies that get RUSTY :chuckles:
SFC USA Ret.
1976-1998
Armor, Cavalry, Infantry, Recruiting, Transportation
1st Cav, 4 ID, 8 ID, 82d Airborne
gurn

Post by gurn »

side view of it.
berkmberk1

Post by berkmberk1 »

I take that back.......its a priming tool. Old style. Now a days, if you don't have a turret press or a C press (like you have) with a priming attachment, reloaders will use a hand held primer. I use a Lee thumb primer tool. It has a tray that holds 100 primers. You insert the case, squeeze the lever with your thumb, and the primer is set in the case. The tool you have works the same way, only it is/was usually installed on the loading bench. Individual primers were set in the ram and the lever squeezed the primer into the case. Something like you have might still be handy if you loaded LARGE caliber cartridges. I still use my little hand held job for 30.06 and .308 with no problem.
SFC USA Ret.
1976-1998
Armor, Cavalry, Infantry, Recruiting, Transportation
1st Cav, 4 ID, 8 ID, 82d Airborne
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

It's good that you kept your stuff. The rust will clean up with a little work and some light oil.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That is some old equipment, 1960's and early 70's, good quality gear back in the day, and it will get you started. What I don't see is a load book. Get the Lee load book, it has insyructions in the use of basic reloading equipment. You can also write to Lyman, and RCBS for manuals. That looks like an early RCBS Jr press.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
gurn

Post by gurn »

:pointdown: I do have a Lee load book somewhere around here :vconfused: got to find it
:pointup:
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

The Lee Manual is so good if you read all the chapters in the front before the load data. It gives all the info about the basics, and goes into cast bullets, deals with pressure and just has all the info to keep you safe. All the other manuals have this too. Another good load manual is the Lyman.