is it worth scoping a saiga?

Everything Semi and Automatic is discussed here. Can be Military or civilian.
AK's, AR's, FN, VZ, FAL, and so on. (Post WWII)

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
sbaker5

is it worth scoping a saiga?

Post by sbaker5 »

I want something for varmit hunting out to about 300 yards. My mosin will do the job and I enjoy iron sights more but past 200 yards I don't trust my iron sight skills. I'm not looking for sub moa by any means I just am curious if the rifle is capable of landing a 7.62x39 round on a coyote at 300 yards. It would justify an AK purchase.
ponycarman

Re: is it worth scoping a saiga?

Post by ponycarman »

I think it could. The rifle isn't really known for being a super accurate shooter. Not bashing the ak. I have two and prefer them over my ar15. I would definitely practice at the ranges of intended use if possible. It should be adequate with the proper ammo.
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

It wouldn't be my first choice of caliber or weapon for that distance, given what else I have in the safe for that range (Ruger M77 in .270). However, my Arsenal SGL 21-61 (Saiga-based AK clone) is capable of some decent groups at 200M from the bench, and that is just with a 2 MOA red dot optic. With the right scope, I think I could get it to shoot even better. The 7.62x39 should be capable of dropping any coyote-sized animal in North America.
sbaker5

Post by sbaker5 »

I don't need a tack driver as mentioned, I'm just not sure of the accuracy of a saiga 200-250 yards would probably be the farthest range I would shoot at, 4 magnification is probably all id need just something to make sure I'm on target, I should probably buy a general varmit gun for super long range shots but I like guns that are either unique or fun, and there is already a family .223 I just something cheap enough to practice with.
m1guy

Post by m1guy »

[quote]something cheap enough to practice with[quote]

I think you just said the magic words for accuracy, there. Not for the gun itself, but for hitting what you shoot at.

I know I can take a nice, pretty, probably extremely accurate gun that does nothing but take up safe space except for a couple of times a year, and compare that with my favorite cheap old beater that I shoot all the time. Guess which one I'm a lot more likely to hit with.

At least, that's the way it works for me.
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

I picked up a Saiga early this year and did the conversion on it and put a 3-9x40 scope on it. It was accurate enough at 100 yards but I have nowhere here in Missouri to shoot longer than that unless it's down a road and they kinda frown on that. I'd think that if you spent the time to find out what ammo it liked it could very well do that job for you, but the x39 round isn't a real good performer for long distances. I actually got a pristine Norinco SKS and $400 for the Saiga and like the SKS much better.
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

I shoot the Norinco SKS more than the AK. It is slightly more accurate at all ranges. I think this is because the gas system is tighter tolerances and the barrel is a precision rifled, chrome lined 20 inches. I was surprised at how well these SKS rifles were put together. Fit and finish rival any weapons I own. One has a pinned barrel and one has a threaded barrel. I can't tell the difference in practical shooting comparison.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

The X39 cartridge and rifles are designed for minute of man at 300 meters. I am a Prairie Coyote hunter here on the plains of Iowa, I have tried the real, early import AK's, variants, and the SKS of many countries. To realistically think a X39 is acceptable for hunting coyotes at 300 yards is very unrealistic. Have I done it over the last many years? Yes, but only about 1 in 50 or more at any 300 yards. Never so far with any AK. Just the SKS. The AK are really not designed for 300 yard shooting.
Coyotes just will not justify buying any AK or SKS in the X39. A Coyote is actually a very small and fast moving target. Best just get a cheaper version of a Varmint rifle to hunt with.
Happiness is owning Swedish Mausers!
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

:pointup: Like I said ealier, the 7.62x39 would not be my first choice of caliber or type rifle. :soapbox: