Best rust preventative?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
sbaker5

Best rust preventative?

Post by sbaker5 »

I live in southern Kentucky which gets pretty darn humid at times, due to being a college student I usually shoot every 1-4 weeks, it just depends on my work schedule, seeing as a mosin nagant is a very simple bolt action I'm not terribly concerned about the best lubricant, I just want to make sure I get no corrosion in my mosin when I am gone, so far eezox and weapon shield seem to come out ahead, but I can pick up rem oil or CLP at the local walmart, which do you recommend? I'm not looking for an all in one cleaner just the best preservative that you can still fire the rifle with.
Judi and her Mosins

Re: Best rust preventative?

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

:soapbox:
It seems there are alot of diffrent types,..Cosomoline, Brownells Rust Preventer, and shooters choice, Rust prevent. Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Rem oil is pretty good. Are you in BG at WKU?
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
finloq

Post by finloq »

Move to the Mojave.
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
bocephus

Post by bocephus »

No way, Kentucky is awesome.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

North central Louisiana here. It's humid a lot of the time here and Break Free CLP is what I've used for years. Works fine for me especially for rifles you plan to shoot regularly but also for ones that sit on the rack for years. Just have to pull them down and give the a wipe about every 6 months or so. Sometimes you have to experiment with different stuff to come up with what works for you.

I'll add this, I've heard some guys here say they use synthetic motor oil and it works just fine. Makes sense.
jonnyboy091373

Post by jonnyboy091373 »

Plus one for the motor oil. 10w30 for regular use, 20w50 for something a bit thicker. Maybe i have that backwards... anyway. It is cheap and easy to find.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

jonnyboy091373 wrote:Plus one for the motor oil. 10w30 for regular use, 20w50 for something a bit thicker. Maybe i have that backwards... anyway. It is cheap and easy to find.
You got it right. The higher the numbers the thicker the oil.
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

Balistol
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
cjsimoh

Post by cjsimoh »

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Oil, you probably have some right now, and it will not break the bank. If you have nothing else go to the supermarket and buy a quart bottle of the lightest weight car motor oil they have for $4, it will do the job for limited budgets.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Best rust preventative........ Arizona, though REM Oil works good also.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
sbaker5

Post by sbaker5 »

millman wrote:Rem oil is pretty good. Are you in BG at WKU?

Yes I am, do you also go there?

I am actually from Arizona is the funny thing. I swear you could have shot a a whole tin of corrosive ammo and left it uncleaned for a year and it wouldn't rust there. I don't know if I even knew what rust is. Here though everything rusts I am using rem oil currently but I might try clp I shoot every other week or so it's not long term storage just insurance while I'm gone.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Never thought of motor oil before, but why not? My only concern would be putting it on too heavy causing it to attract all the dust in the room. I think a rag with the slightest amount of oil would work - just enough to fill the pours of the steel. I'll have to experiment. I always have a little left from the cars that I don't throw away. Now I know why. Must be destiny. And, I guess it would last a long time.
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

I wonder about motor oil in very cold weather :brolleyes: . We shoot all winter here and it can get chilly :chuckles:, NOT Winter War cold, but I have shot in single digits several times . Do you 'cut' it with anything? I like Balistol BUT it is pricey (like a lot) but very effective. Perhaps motor oil as a 'storage' rust preventative, but how about daily use? Inquiring Mindless wants to know :chuckles:
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

Below 20F things get "thick". In the Winter War the Russians used cheap oils and had their issues with rifles gunked up.. The Finns 'cut' oils with all sorts of stuff and didn't have an issue. I have hunted in minus 22F and BELIEVE me your motor oil gets sluggish......just wondered about using 10W30 on my rifles is all.
Cosmoline guy

Post by Cosmoline guy »

It would depend on the rifle. If you are using a bolt action, any oil will be fine, even in the cold. If you
are using a semi auto and expect it to work in the cold, the lighter the better. I still use Old English
Red Oil throughout all of my guns and have never had a problem. The only thing with that, I'm not sure
that it's made anymore.
Heavy Metal 1

Post by Heavy Metal 1 »

I have been using synthetic motor oil for years. 1 qt lasts a long time! It seems to work somewhat as a cleaner too.
I'm made of metal, my circuits gleem, I am perpetual, I keep the country clean.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

sbaker5 wrote:
millman wrote:Rem oil is pretty good. Are you in BG at WKU?

Yes I am, do you also go there?
I did 20 years ago. I am currently about 1hr north of you, if you want to go shoot sometime.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

I never considered synthetic motor oil......DUH??? :redfaced: I'll pick some up and try it. :bwink: