Shot my first mosin nagant 1940 Izhevsk

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
sbaker5

Shot my first mosin nagant 1940 Izhevsk

Post by sbaker5 »

I bought a 1940 91/30 yesterday with 440 rounds, I went to the local gun dealer, he had a 1943 tula that looked like it had been used to club a bear to death with, so I asked if he had any others and he had just gotten one in still in box, it was it great shape, deep rifling, wood looked good except at the end, better than all the others the dealer had, very little metal wear however I still didn't know how it would shoot. after a quick cleaning and inspection yesterday I shot 60 rounds through it today of 147 grain surplus, surprised by a few thing, was recoil was not bad, it was fun, I'm not really little at 5'11 and 200, but I expected it to hurt more than it did. Secondly it is more accurate than I expected, I have read horror stories about foot groupings at 25 yards so I was a little worried, shot iron sites at 100 yards, was hitting in the 1-2 foot area, but I haven't shot a rifle in 6 years and obviously this is stock iron sites. I have my dad give it a try and he shot about an 8 inch grouping, he is an ex marine but hasn't shot an iron sites rifle more than once or twice in years and he is also 65 so I suspect the rifle is more accurate than either of us. I moved in to about 75 yards and put 13 out of 15 shots in a foot wide white square. Then just out of curiousity I shot at 3 inch wide branch about 25 feet away, 4 out of 5 shots hit within 1.5 inches of each other. This completely shocked me and I hear they usually hit about 4-5 inches high even at 100 yards and I was aiming right on target. Point is, I suspect my rifle will hit accurately enough for any coyote hunting within 300 yards which was my only requirement, I am quite happy. :thumbsup: Also punched some mean holes through a air tank and the tree behind it.
desdem12

Re: Shot my first mosin nagant 1940 Izhevsk

Post by desdem12 »

Nice. More practice with the trigger and sights and you will be hitting everything :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
husker51

Re: Shot my first mosin nagant 1940 Izhevsk

Post by husker51 »

I am glad your getting some time to shoot. I am building my collection faster than I can get them to the range and try shooting them. Always have other priorities. I have shot my first 91/30 though. It was high but on line. It appeared to be accurate enough at 1000 meters! Shooting in the sandhills of Nebraska! Have fun with that 91/30! :thumbsup:
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953