.22 TOZ ?1972

Rim Fire Firearms
Jesse

.22 TOZ ?1972

Post by Jesse »

Hi all,

Was trawling the Aussie gun sites last week and came across this little cutie, picked it up today. I'm guessing c1972, Tula made. Haven't fired it yet. If Anyone is able to give me any info on these I'd be very interested! I'm curious, is this likely to be the original trigger and what are the holes on the sides of the receiver? Is it for gas release?

Greasemonkey

Re: .22 TOZ ?1972

Post by Greasemonkey »

I believe it's a TOZ-8M model. It is a Tula made rifle.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Actually I meant to ask, I think the trigger has been replaced at some point and I think it's just a shabby aluminium type. Does anyone know of a .22 trigger kit that would be compatible with this?
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Continuing from our posts in the restoration thread Weldon, yeah I've done a bit of digging past few weeks and slowly putting the pieces together.

Best info was actually on Tula/TOZ's current English website. They had a section on the history of their firearms and mentioned that in the early 50's after the war they developed dedicated target & hunting rifles for civilian use. The 8M was listed under that civilian section I think.

I love it, you can't fire a mosin in the city ranges here, need to go bush or dedicated 30 cal range about an hour drive away. This is like a mini mosin with quirky bolt and leaf sights I can use at my local range!
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Jesse wrote:Continuing from our posts in the restoration thread Weldon, yeah I've done a bit of digging past few weeks and slowly putting the pieces together.

Best info was actually on Tula/TOZ's current English website. They had a section on the history of their firearms and mentioned that in the early 50's after the war they developed dedicated target & hunting rifles for civilian use. The 8M was listed under that civilian section I think.

I love it, you can't fire a mosin in the city ranges here, need to go bush or dedicated 30 cal range about an hour drive away. This is like a mini mosin with quirky bolt and leaf sights I can use at my local range!
For those of you wondering what the heck we're talking about Jesse asked about refinishing the stock on this in this thread http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.c ... 50#p264650 I wasn't sure what he meant because he refered to it as a Tula .22 and I though he meant a 1922 Tula Mosin Nagant and had fatfingered the .22. Turns out he was talking about this rifle. When I saw the magic words "sand" "stain" and "shellac" my first thought was he was asking about refinishing a Mosin Nagant. Funny thing is I know Jesse pretty well and was a bit surprised to see him ask that, lol.

For those of you who know these better than me and Jesse, is this rifle a surplus rifle?
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Yeah I normally wouldn't use those words I wasn't sure if it was a rifle to preserve or not!
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

:Drool1: :Drool1: :thumbsup: Very nice! I've been looking for a TOZ 8 for a while now. Occasionally one will pop up on GB but there always seems to be an issue with it like no magazine etc. Let us know how she shoots. :thumbsup: