First time shooting a Mosin and first time poster

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Vati66

First time shooting a Mosin and first time poster

Post by Vati66 »

Hello All,

My name is Scott and I am addicted to Mosin Nagants. I have been away from firearms for 25 years but while I was at Gander Mountain I happened to run across a rack of them. I knew pretty much nothing about them other then they are Russian Rifles used in WW2. I saw the price and decided to do a little research on them. Well I liked what I was reading, so I went back over to GM and bought one. I looked them all over and decided on a 1941 Izhevsk 91/30. Came with the cleaning kit, and bayonet. Over all it's a good looking example. After having it a week, cleaning it thoroughly, and waiting on the headspace gauges, I finally got to shoot it today :D ! Man it shoots great! No sticky bolt issues at all. I fired 50 rounds with it and another 25 from my friends M44. His M44 is very nice, such a shame he has no idea what he has. LOL I was expecting a bigger kick form my 91/30, but wasn't expecting the kick from the M44 AND Loud, let me tell ya, that M44 shocked me when it was first fired.
Anyways, I am now committed to collecting Mosins.

Thanks for all the great info you all have gathered here

Scott
jm190

Re: First time shooting a Mosin and first time poster

Post by jm190 »

Welcome! They are definitely a hoot to shoot and to see all the different variations. Pictures are always nice! (hint, hint)

Be sure to let us know when they start multiplying!
John
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Welcome to the forum :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Joeinthehills

Post by Joeinthehills »

Stopsign32v wrote:91/30 is a .22 compared to a carbine Mosin. M38 kicks harder than a M44 IMO.
When you take a rifle w/ a cartridge somewhere between a cal. 30-06 and a .308 put in a "scant" stock, it's going to rock your world. :lol: :twisted: :twisted:

Maybe that explains of all my M-N's the 44 has the best looking bore... :mrgreen:

You don't have to pick up a horse shoe hot off the anvil to want to do it a 2nd time. ;mywink;
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

Welcome aboard! My should appreciates the recoil pad on my M44 if I shoot more than 20 rounds through it!
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

:welcome: We love pics around here so don't be afraid to post some. It took me a little while to figure out how to do it but once you get the hang of it, it's a piece of cake. Yes, M44's are a ton of fun to shoot and I always save shooting it until I'm done shooting my other guns. After about 30-40 donkey kicks to the shoulder from that thing I'm done! :lol: Anyway, welcome to the sickness. :thumbsup:
Vati66

Post by Vati66 »

No doubt about the donkey kicks! It just made me want to get one that much more. :-) We have a big gun show in Syracuse the middle of September. I figure 1 more rifle and a 2 spam cans of ammo will be in my trunk for the ride home :-)
buddhaboy
Location: Illinios, so close to the cheddar curtain I can smell it when they cut the cheese

Post by buddhaboy »

Welcome to the board and congrats on that 41' 91/30. They are a real hoot to shoot. I think the kick is half the fun.
Judi and her Mosins

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

I have five Mosins,.. :soapbox: ...and I want a few...just a few more...they are my family, Welcome form Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Welcome to the board Scott, :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
hoshow

Post by hoshow »

Welcome Scott :thumbsup:
Buy the truth, and do not sell it,
Also wisdom and instruction and understanding.
Proverbs 23:23
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

A fun trick with a M44, 38 or a T53 is to pull it out when the guy next to you starts blasting away with a 7mm mag with a compensator. The "side" blast will get their attention.
We have met the enemy and he is us.
Brian the Brit

Post by Brian the Brit »

WELCOME SCOTT :thumbsup:

I/we look forward to seeing your collection grow , BUT , we will try and get the GOOD one 's from you :chuckles: :chuckles:

;mywink;
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Welcome aboard. As long as you follow our very simple rules, you will have a great time on this site. Everyone is willing to share and we have some great sponsors. Again welcome aboard :thumbsup:
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

rustytruck

Post by rustytruck »

If I don't have a bruise the day after shooting, I'm just not satisfied! As long as the surplus ammo holds out, I think shooting the MN is the most fun for the money.
finloq

Post by finloq »

Most fun you can have with your pants down.

I have a private club.
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
Rups63

Post by Rups63 »

finloq wrote:Most fun you can have with your pants down.

I have a private club.
:vsad: :no: :umno: :moon:
Chrome Moly Vampire

Post by Chrome Moly Vampire »

Welcome to the habit, Scott. These folks here will welcome you with open arms and feed your fire. Pictures of your rifles are like cheese on the burger to addicts. If you're truly stricken, you'll have another Mosin to show off by the end of September. :D

Dive deep my friend, dive deep. Good luck chasing the dragon and welcome to our quest.
"I never miss a chance to provide joy and/or erotic thoughts to the elderly"
~Floran~
Vati66

Post by Vati66 »

Thank you all for the great welcome. I'll see what I can do to get a pic posted of it. :-)
conefree

Post by conefree »

Good to hear! I juust shot my first Mosin as well. Way too much for me to stop at one now.