Input needed, russian sawtooth splice.

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
redspoon

Input needed, russian sawtooth splice.

Post by redspoon »

Went to local gun show this morning, this one seller had about thirty wartime 91/30's out for view. The one that caught my eye was a 42 Izhevsk with the sawtooth forestock splice. The rifle in itself didn't really speak to me, but the splice sure did. Seller would not come down on the $189 price. I know the sawtooth is not rare, however I haven't seen a lot em around either.
So your thoughts on going for it, or let it pass. It's a two day show, so I can go back today or tomorrow if need be.
Didn't get any pics, but the pics below are from one of Miller Tymes showcase 91/30's, the splice looks almost identical to his.
thanks for your input.
sawtooth2.jpg
sawtooth.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tjtM38

Re: Input needed, russian sawtooth splice.

Post by tjtM38 »

I think it is an interesting stock; just depends on how bad you want it. Seems that anywhere from 160 to 200 is the going rate at retail for a M91/30. It would be a bit high for my taste. Think I could do better at my local gun shop.
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

tjtM38 wrote: 160 to 200 is the going rate at retail for a M91/30. It would be a bit high for my taste.
Yea I hear you, I've never paid over $145 for any of my 91/30's (most way under that). What I was really getting at, is the sawtooth splice worth a extra 40 bucks.
daveshady

Post by daveshady »

huh I had never seen that before. kinda cool
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Maybe not rare but still very uncommon. Not too bad on price. If it speaks to you I would go for it. You wont remember it being high here pretty soon. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

I have an M-44 with the same splice. These are very uncommon. I have, maybe, seen only one other on this forum in the last year or so. If it were me I would buy it. If this guy has a lot more 9130's, you ought to check them out though for DDR's, MO's, ex Snipers and ex Dragoons. If they had some of those, I'd be buying more than one I'm afraid... :roll: But, maybe could get a deal for two :thumbsup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I think that is the first splice I have ever seen on a m44. Even more uncommon :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

We can deduce that they used these same stock splice jig for carbines and 9130's. These splices are exactly the same. Cool...
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

I've got a couple of them. Liked the craftsmanship on them.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

A little over priced maybe, but I think I would have bought it just for that zig-zag splice.
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

I had one in my hand last year, put it back on the rack cause I didn't know how rare THEY ARE :big shock: . Dumbest move to date I've made :redfaced: :redfaced: :redfaced: :redfaced: . That one was going for $125.00, today I would pay $225.00 easy for the same rifle :Drool1: . It was that good.

I agree :pointup: :pointup: , the asking price will seem low this time next year. Buy it :thumbsup: .
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Same here Topper. Last year when I went to Cabelas for the first time and they had a sawtooth stock for 149.99. I didn't buy it and have regretted it ever since. We are used to seeing spliced Finnish stocks, but these are Russian as far as I know, and they have such a tight well made fit. Real craftsmanship I think and if you consider that you don't have to pay shipping and a transferring dealer fee then the price seems good. If the money is not gonna be a problem I would sure go get it.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

I let my "pool cue" spliced 91/30 go to fund another rifle and haven't seen another since. I wish I had it back.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

It's not just about the splice either. I can't remember the exact combo right now but they are something like a pre-war stock mated with a post war and a mid war stock mated with a pre-war. Or some combo like that.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Three_Dogs

Post by Three_Dogs »

I would jump on it, even at that price. :2cents: :2cents: :2cents:
If corporations are people, when will we see one executed?
Three_Dogs

Post by Three_Dogs »

double post...my bad! :big shock: :big shock:
If corporations are people, when will we see one executed?
ffeng31

Post by ffeng31 »

I have only ever seen one for sale, and it was on GB, so I didnt actually see it. I am filling a crate with only rifles that are out of the ordinary , and that one would be in there right now if it had crossed my path.... Buy it.
Jim

redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Thanks guys for all the input, i'm getting kinda juiced about it now. Heading out early in the morning, fairly confident it will still be there he wasn't getting much action at the mosin tables. I will be taking one of my wartime 91/30's for trade bait and offer a little to boot, if that doesn't work I'll just pony up and buy it.
Dan4good

Post by Dan4good »

id buy most likly
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

WELL? :ani-pop:
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"