Picked up what I think is a SCW rifle.

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Lee-online

Picked up what I think is a SCW rifle.

Post by Lee-online »

I just got this rifle because I believe its a SCW rifle.

It does not have the made in USSR/URRS stamp but it also has no other import marks.

It is a 1937 Izhevsk, it is a total mix master, well worn but still useable rifling, no refurb, crude cleaning rod, stock damage that has been back cut to stop the crack/splits and has a couple of repairs.

The only issue I see and cant explain is the bent bolt, did bubba get his paws on this? No other signs of bubba.

Kollaa kestää
srv1
ban
ban

Re: Picked up what I think is a SCW rifle.

Post by srv1 »

Did you take the stock off and check for any import marks? My Molot has the import markings on the barrel but you cannot see it unless you take the stock off.
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

Yes, I took it out to check the tang, it matches the barrel. only other marks were the normal random stamps on the bottom of the barrel.

all the signs add up to a SCW in my opinion.
Kollaa kestää
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Interesting for sure. The cleaning rod looks like many from Spain, the overall metal condition looks right. It's a bubba bent bolt handle though.

The stock is interesting. It looks like the front had a typical Soviet repair that failed, but I've not seen that type of repair on an SCW. Also the serial on the stock isnt typical for SCW either. I may be wrong but maybe the stock was switched out after import, or it may be a balkans rifle that missed getting stamped.

Nice looking rifle though. Dang bubba and his bent bolts.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

The front damage looks like a split that was cut down to, to stop it splitting any more. The down cut is smooth, the long side is rough like it would be from a split. There is a same kind of repair where the cleaning rod enters the stock.
Last edited by Lee-online on Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kollaa kestää
Dan4good

Post by Dan4good »

nice one lee
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I don't know about the SCW angle, I mean it does have the look, but How would you be sure? It is a good looking rifle, and it reminds me of a question I have pondered many time about the bent bolt. It isn't bent as much as what the typical bubba bent bolt sniper wanna be bolt would be. These pop up from time to time and instantly the thread usually get all kinds of bubba comments. Personally I don't like to be so quick to credit bubba with every little thing that comes along. There are so many things we don't know about the history including who used this particular rifle for instance. Could a soldier have had a personal perference to bend the bolt, and polish it back out to shine? Would it be forbidden for a soldier to alter his firearm? I don't know any of this. It looks like it might have been bent by making a relief cut in teh under side, bending it then welding it back up. Then grinding or filing smooth and polishing. I know I have seen guys ask about these before with similar bolts and decide not to buy them, but I don't see it as a hasty detractor myself. Your rifle definitely has some nice features.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Nice :vcool: :vcool: Certainly has Spanish characteristics Nice patina. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

Who knows why there are rifles with bent bolts. Maybe the soldier wanted it that way. I know our military modifies their rifle to suit their personal needs. I shoot left handed and I can unlock this bolt with my supporting hand while still supporting the rifle at the mag. A straight bolt I have to take my hand off more to reach the knob. :vconfused:

couple more pics

Bolt still has crap in it so it has not been shot much in this state.

Is the bolt bent enough to clear a scope?

Split part of stock removed. you can see the saw mark used to remove it. Don't know who or when this was done.

Cleaning rod
Kollaa kestää
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

My guess would be it's from the Spanish hoard , but that Bolt is pure Bubba, the Spanish, either Republican, or Nationalist wouldn't have bothered with doing that shit.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Three_Dogs

Post by Three_Dogs »

:Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
If corporations are people, when will we see one executed?
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

One solution on the bolt is to replace it as the numbers do not march. I have several rifles with those cut outs but they have wood replaced. Could be the glue didn't take and the repairs fell out.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
mitch5690

Post by mitch5690 »

i don't think a common soviet soldier would have the know how, let alone the equipment to do that would they? Either way its different, i like it
Steve The Pirate

Post by Steve The Pirate »

That looks like a SCW rifle. Mine has the same cleaning rod as that and is not marked made in USSR. Nice find. :thumbsup:
Everyone appreciates your honesty, until you're honest with them, then you're an asshole - George Carlin
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

My only issue is the date of the rifle. The SCW went from July 36 until April 39. As a 1937, it would be a new issue rifle.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Ironnewt wrote:My only issue is the date of the rifle. The SCW went from July 36 until April 39. As a 1937, it would be a new issue rifle.
A lot of '37 date mosins rolled right off the assembly lines and went right to Spain. I've owned a few with the USSR stamp.

I keep coming back to the stock though. I've never seen a Spanish import mosin with a serial number on the wood like that.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Interesting to know. .
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

hoshow

Post by hoshow »

:vcool: :vcool: :Drool1: :Drool1: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Buy the truth, and do not sell it,
Also wisdom and instruction and understanding.
Proverbs 23:23
neal45

Post by neal45 »

Looks like a SCW rifle with SCW cleaning rod had the bolt bubba'd and the stock swapped for a Finn'd one to me.
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

Hard to tell from my phone but the cleaning rod looks SCW,, but the stock shows both russian repair traits and the stock sn location and font looks just link the ones on my yugo 24/47. The bolt is pure bubba though. I will have to look this up back on line sunday evening
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin