S&W 1942 Victory Range Report

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Dragon48

S&W 1942 Victory Range Report

Post by Dragon48 »

I took the '42 Victory to the range yesterday. Friday is Ladies Day, so no range fee. Supposed to be limited to 1 hour, but I'm able to go during the early afternoon when its not busy. They haven't kicked me out yet. Good deal, hun 8-) . Okay now down to business, I shot at both 25 and 40 ft. I know, goofy distances :tongue: but the method to my madness is that if I'm ever in a real self defense situation, I cant tell the bad guy to stop at 20 ft because that's where I've bed practicing. A few flyers at both distances but that was definitely me and not the pistol. I've been shooting semi autos for so long, that I forget how much fun wheel guns are. I actually enjoy a bit of recoil. It makes me remember that I'm not playing Halo on the XBox with my nephews. Besides, it makes me concentrate on getting back on target. This particular Victory is much better that I recall with my issue pieces. Tighter action, crisper trigger. Obviously well cared for by the original owner. I think if I shot revolvers more often I accidentally get better. :thumbsup:

Sorry for the crop. Not trying to hide anything. File size was too big to upload
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I think the Johnnys are getting rattled; they are afraid of our repeating rifles. They say we are not fair, that we have guns that we load up on Sunday and shoot all the rest of the week."
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: S&W 1942 Victory Range Report

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Looks good :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Dragon48

Post by Dragon48 »

I had fun, for sure.
"I think the Johnnys are getting rattled; they are afraid of our repeating rifles. They say we are not fair, that we have guns that we load up on Sunday and shoot all the rest of the week."
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Time to start loading up some waddcutters for that .38
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Dragon48

Post by Dragon48 »

Makes sense. Since now have two revolvers that take .38 specials.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Star reloading machine in .38 special, the best tool for loading .38 ever made, at one time every police department with more than ten people in it had one of these machines. They turn up on eBay for five hundred or so, and are worth every penny. Mine came out of an closed gun shop were it had sat since the 70's, I made over 4000 rounds of .38 with it in a few weeks of on and off use.
http://www.starreloaders.com/index.html
Theodore Roosevelt
Celt

Post by Celt »

Nice!
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Dragon48

Post by Dragon48 »

I already have a Dillon 550B. I just need the dies and quick change kit to do the .38 's. currently, I'm just set up for 9mm & .223.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Nice shooting :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Dragon48

Post by Dragon48 »

:redfaced: Thanks but the pistol I'd all the work.
Noble Sniper

Post by Noble Sniper »

Nice shooting and again a beautiful revolver ;)
•"Was there ever a people whose leaders were as truly their enemies as this one?"
- Ernest Hemingway, For Whom the Bell Tolls

"....from my cold dead hands:
President Charleton Heston

"Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !! "
Dr. Strangelove
Dragon48

Post by Dragon48 »

I'm pretty tickled with It. Shoots much better than my old issue pistols. I'll consider it a keeper. :thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :vcool:
Theodore Roosevelt
entropy

Post by entropy »

That is exceptional shooting with a Victory Model! Ours sucked; they were the only weapon I was not able to qualify expert with, and it definitely was not me, it was the guns. The best revolver we had was actually a Colt, and even with that one, my best score was 31/40. (36 was required for Expert.) I did not cry at having to send the Victory Models and M10's back to to Anniston. (Arsenal, not Jennifer) Now the 7 1911's I had in my Arms Room, yes I was misty-eyed when I packed them up. The M9's were an improvement over the revolvers for the pilots and aircrewmen, though a bit bulkier. The CO's and XO, OTOH, did not appreciate the Beretta at all, and the XO had his own 1911 that I suspect would have ended up with him if we'd have deployed......
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Dragon48

Post by Dragon48 »

Well thanks. I usually did pretty well in the Corps although we rarely shot enough to satisfy me. Just annual or before a deployment. I didn't qual expert with the 1911. Just Sharpshooter, but as I recall, not too far away. The 1911's we had were pretty well abused. They actually rattled. Now I know most slides tend too losen over time and make a little noise when you shake the pistol. That's not what I'm referring to. These guys sounded like baby rattles. I just bought a Remington 1911R1. Haven't shot it yet, but I plan on vindicating myself :chuckles:

The M1 Garand was "grand" on the range and the M14 was even better, in my opinion. Qual'd X with both. I think I could shoot air holes with the 14. The M16, not so much. It was a bit tougher although each time I got better. Still shot X with it each time, just luck I think. Really felt like I was using body English once the round left the barrel. At least none of the dreaded "Maggie's drawers".

I really like the R1. Has the look and feel of the real deal, although it has a bit of a mix of the 1911 and 1911A1 features. I'll do a range report on that, eventually. Maybe the more traditional 20 and 30 foot targets. :popgun:

Thank God for Lady's Day at my local indoor range. Don't feel so guilt burning up this high priced ammo nowadays. :angry4:
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Star reloading machine in .38 special, the best tool for loading .38 ever made, at one time every police department with more than ten people in it had one of these machines. They turn up on eBay for five hundred or so, and are worth every penny. Mine came out of an closed gun shop were it had sat since the 70's, I made over 4000 rounds of .38 with it in a few weeks of on and off use.

They are the best loaders for .38's My Department had at least a dozen and I was able to get one when we converted to 9mm and the Armorers wanted to clean house. There are web sites dedicated to them and parts are available.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Ironnewt wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:Star reloading machine in .38 special, the best tool for loading .38 ever made, at one time every police department with more than ten people in it had one of these machines. They turn up on eBay for five hundred or so, and are worth every penny. Mine came out of an closed gun shop were it had sat since the 70's, I made over 4000 rounds of .38 with it in a few weeks of on and off use.

They are the best loaders for .38's My Department had at least a dozen and I was able to get one when we converted to 9mm and the Armorers wanted to clean house. There are web sites dedicated to them and parts are available.
Yes, I know, mine is one of the progressive models, I could convert it to other calibers if I had the Star die sets. 9mm, .30 carbine, and .45acp, as well as .357 mag. Star company manager Phelps went off and started making his own version of the Star after their patent expired, I have one of these machines also in .45acp. Both trade for around $450-$500 on eBay.
Theodore Roosevelt
Dragon48

Post by Dragon48 »

I'll have to check them out. Right now, even loading supplies have been tough to get. Primers of any size, .223 bullets are non existent, brass is spotty at best.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Primers are the big problem, they are in short supply and expensive, bullets for .38 are easy, a Lee bullet mold and hot pot can be had for around $60 or less,

148 grain wadcutter
2.7 grains of Bullseye

The classic paper punching load.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Load for .38 special that is, Lee makes the mold for that bullet, but I forget the number, it's on the Lee precision site.
Theodore Roosevelt