Shooting high with that Mosin?

Mosin Information Pages, Video's on setting firing pin protrusion, how to check headspace, the Mosin bolt,
MosinWiki, How to's on cleaning your Mosin, shooting too hight? and much more.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Shooting high with that Mosin?

Post by Longcolt44 »

Quick answer, no. Globes with a steel pin or a simple blade original would be the only period correct sight.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
xwingnut

Post by xwingnut »

Hombre wrote:..
I'm an old civil war reenactor. From the research I've done (watching the Blue and the Grey hundreds of times), the old saying was to "aim low, at their bellies 'cause the gun'll jump up on ye when ye fire" holds true. I also have an old WWII manual that shows how to "hold off" when aiming at different ranges. I'll have to look that up to be sure if my information is correct.
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Clyde wrote:Hey Guys , is it possible to add an optic that is period correct to any Mosis? Just got a 91-30 and doing some research but don't wanna do anything not correct to the period.
Long answer: You can get a "sniper" version of the 91/30, I comes with irons and a scope mounted in a way that you can either take the scope and mount off in the field or shoot under the scope using the iron sights. best source is, in my opinion, RGuns
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Most of the rifles shoot as sighted by the Soviets. The Official Soviet Mosin-Nagant Rifle Manual goes into fine detail the process of sighting in the rifle. The process they used was not intuitive, to me, but they make perfect sense if you are shooting at human targets instead of bullseyes.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
vstar650ca

Post by vstar650ca »

Don,t know were or when I read it but I remember reading that the Mosins were sighted at 300 meters with bayonet attached which is why they shoot high when bayonet is removed.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Close enough, the average range we shoot at is 100 yards at that range most all of these rifles and other milsurps will shoot high.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
vstar650ca

Post by vstar650ca »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:I have used this method in the past with high shooting Mosins and it works well. I wish it could be so easy with the Mauser's
I actually know a fella that put a dab of "JB Weld" on the front sight of his Turkish Mauser and filed it to proper height, apparently it holds pretty well.
vstar650ca

Post by vstar650ca »

I found a piece of old "Brake line" pushed on and heated,then squeezed and filed to height works good and hangs on better then shrink tube.Every auto shop has lots of it in the scrap bin.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

I have shot dozens of Mosins with heat shrink on it. I have never had any of it come off. ever. The problem with any tyoe of tubing it, it increases the thickness of the post. If you look at the heat shrink, it bevcomes smaller at the topp as there is no post under it. It ends up about the same size as the original post is.

There are other methods of doing this also. On ebay one guy is selling a taller post so you can replace you old shorter post. Then yo file it down to the right height. It's reversable.
Just search for Mosin post and you will find it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/M91-M91-30-M38- ... 2ec60457b8
Dolk
vstar650ca

Post by vstar650ca »

dolk wrote:I have shot dozens of Mosins with heat shrink on it. I have never had any of it come off. ever. The problem with any tyoe of tubing it, it increases the thickness of the post. If you look at the heat shrink, it bevcomes smaller at the topp as there is no post under it. It ends up about the same size as the original post is.

There are other methods of doing this also. On ebay one guy is selling a taller post so you can replace you old shorter post. Then yo file it down to the right height. It's reversable.
Just search for Mosin post and you will find it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/M91-M91-30-M38- ... 2ec60457b8
Dolk
I certainly wasn't trying to put down your method "DolK" I just said what I did as I am a incurable tinkerer as it is.I put the line on heated it and squeezed into a blade and filed it to proportion.The shrink tube would be much easier.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

I really wasn't worried if you were "trying to put down" my method. This is about what will work.

I just didn't want anyone thinking that the shrink tube "falls off" during firing. That is not the case.

Dolk
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

The short version of the sighting in of iron sights on the Mosin-Nagant, as explained in The Official Soviet Mosin-Nagant Rifle Manual is as follows:

On a 100 meter range, with the iron sights set at "3", the point of impact should be 18 Cm abover the point of aim. (about 7" high)

The actual sighting in takes several pages of text and drawings. This book also details the sighting-in of the sniper scopes.

Every Mosin nut should have this book........
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
damienabraxas

Post by damienabraxas »

I noticed some optics on Kalinka that are original, but they are pricy!!! I am a cheapskate, and went with a Brass Stacker Mount, that sits on the rear sight. you only have to remove a couple of pins. Not period, I guess, but I want to use my Mosin for a hunting rifle alternative.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

damienabraxas wrote:I noticed some optics on Kalinka that are original, but they are pricy!!! I am a cheapskate, and went with a Brass Stacker Mount, that sits on the rear sight. you only have to remove a couple of pins. Not period, I guess, but I want to use my Mosin for a hunting rifle alternative.
This is a thread on how to use the "Iron Sights". The Kalinka optics may be original, but they require you to drill and tap your rifle, which would turn it into a "Fake" (reproduction) sniper. That is against our policies of not destroying a rifle by altering it. Fakes are not allowed on this Board. Your Brass Stacker is not altering the firearm and it is reversible as long as you keep all the original parts. Not my cup of tea, but certainly acceptable here and a much better way to go if you want a scope for hunting.

But like they say, learn to use the iron sights, and how to aim without any changes,........ but if you must, try the heat shrink trick or if it optics you want, make sure it is reversible.

Dolk
amm9130

Post by amm9130 »

I just did this to my 33 tula hex using black 1/8th inch tubing. Worked perfectly :D Can't wait to sight it in. I'd do it now if I wasn't sick with some respiratory virus :angry4:
1942 M91/30 Izhevsk
1946 M44 Izhevsk
1933 M91/30 Tula Hex
1943 M1895 Revolver Izhevsk
G30 Gen4
Yugo M48 Mauser
Yugo M59/66
Yugo M57 Tokarev
musketjon

Post by musketjon »

The MN's shoot high because they are supposed to be sighted-in WITH the bayonet attached. Unlike the US, the Soviets believed in keeping the bayonets on the rifles ALL the time--period--unless they were being transported and there wasn't room for them. That's also one reason the bayo's are so difficult to mount/unmounts.
Jon
gandog56

Post by gandog56 »

jeremyb wrote:Well I did one of my sights last night. I'll be doing another one tonight. Then testing tomorrow. I'll be happy if I can hit the target at 200 yards.

jb

Remember to bring some scissors or an exacto in case it's now shooting low. Trim to fit!