The Mosin Bolt

Mosin Information Pages, Video's on setting firing pin protrusion, how to check headspace, the Mosin bolt,
MosinWiki, How to's on cleaning your Mosin, shooting too hight? and much more.
Aircooled

Re: The Mosin Bolt

Post by Aircooled »

Thanks JYD! :thumbsup: Very clear and informative. :thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bravolima56

Post by bravolima56 »

Thanks for posting the video. Would you have any on the headspacing part. I am ordering me some gauges from okie. Just like to see what is done if rifle dosn't pass. Do you have to replace bolt if this should happen? Thanks again JYD
Rangerflip

Post by Rangerflip »

Videos like this are great for beginning collectors and veteran collectors as well, It is great to pass on knowledge to others. Thank you :thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

bravolima56 wrote:Thanks for posting the video. Would you have any on the headspacing part. I am ordering me some gauges from okie. Just like to see what is done if rifle dosn't pass. Do you have to replace bolt if this should happen? Thanks again JYD
No, only the bolt head, however replacing the entire bolt could also bring the headspace into, or out of spec as well. I will see about doing a headspace video ( if I can find the headspace gauge)
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Deputy

Post by Deputy »

Which brings me to another question. Are there different-sized bolt heads? Are they marked?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Only the Enfield has bolt heads made to different sizes deliberately, a very smart idea as the British knew the Enfield receivers were prone to stretch over time. The Mosin bolt heads are different sizes only due to variations in their production caused by aging tooling, wear from use, accident, or incompetence on the production line. It works out for us as it makes it possible to correct a rifles headspace problems by simply swapping a bolt head rather than setting back a barrel, and expensive and time consuming process requiring skills and tools beyond the average collector, and would alter a millsurp permanently. After a trip to the old place and two hours of searching I have turned up my Okie headspace gauge and will do a video on it's use sometime today.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I just used an okie lebel gauge a few minutes ago to check a mle16. Very easy to use. And the carbine passed with much to spare. :biggrin: :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Deputy

Post by Deputy »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Only the Enfield has bolt heads made to different sizes deliberately, a very smart idea as the British knew the Enfield receivers were prone to stretch over time. The Mosin bolt heads are different sizes only due to variations in their production caused by aging tooling, wear from use, accident, or incompetence on the production line. It works out for us as it makes it possible to correct a rifles headspace problems by simply swapping a bolt head rather than setting back a barrel, and expensive and time consuming process requiring skills and tools beyond the average collector, and would alter a millsurp permanently. After a trip to the old place and two hours of searching I have turned up my Okie headspace gauge and will do a video on it's use sometime today.
Ummm...well it KINDA works out for us. But that involves buying a LOT of bolt heads to find one that works. :vsad: Prices on E-Bay for bolt heads are from $16-$25 EACH. That ain't exactly cheap. :vsad:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

A lot of times all I did was swap the bolthead with another Mosin and both riles ended up passing with no problem. The measurements we are talking about here are tiny.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The headspace video is uploading, should take an hour or so, I thought I had the 7.62x54r gauge, but it turned out to be the 8mm Lebel gauge, so I used the .303 gauges for the video. It seems my Mosin gauge is once again misplaced, it might be in the bottom of the crate, but I am not moving 20 rifles to look for it just now on a maybe. It started to snow a bit as I shot the video and it was cold.
Theodore Roosevelt