Buttstock ammo pouch

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
optikalillushun

Buttstock ammo pouch

Post by optikalillushun »

Seen these and though some might be interested... http://www.strikehardgear.com/mosin-nag ... ock-pouch/

It holds two strippers on a butt stock pouch similar to the M1 Carbine...they also make them for the SKS. Im gunna pick up one for each. Would be handy when im out plinkin.
To many to list, many more to get, not enough money :-D
redspoon

Re: Buttstock ammo pouch

Post by redspoon »

:vcool: :vcool: ammo and skoal can
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

The advertisement is "If you life depends on you Mosin-Nagant....." I am sorry, I do love the history of these rifles, and I do love shooting them, but they are not going to be my go-to gun in the case of an emergency.

I mean, damn, they were too obsolete for the Bulgarian Army about three generations ago.........
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

SA1911a1 wrote:The advertisement is "If you life depends on you Mosin-Nagant....." I am sorry, I do love the history of these rifles, and I do love shooting them, but they are not going to be my go-to gun in the case of an emergency.

I mean, damn, they were too obsolete for the Bulgarian Army about three generations ago.........
No need to be sorry. I feel the same way. Don't know about you, but when the SHTF, I'm going for the H&R short barrel pump 12 gauge. I have some neighbors relatively close, and I figure the 7.62x54r would probably penetrate at least two close by houses :!: :!:
Detour Rd.

Post by Detour Rd. »

Only ten rounds. Hell, my Lee Enfield holds ten rounds in its magazine alone.
For a go to gun its my LE No5 Mark 1.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Ammo on my person, always on my person, never on the weapon were it can get wet, pick up dirt or get damaged far faster than if it was secure in a ammo pouch on my belt under my coat or in my pockets.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I would like that made to fit a belt, I have something similar, individual US M1903 cartridge clip pouches made to fit on a garrison belt. I could probably fit a Mosin clip in them but they are both rare and valuable, I will not risk damage to them, they can not be replaced.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

I never liked the things on my M1 Carbine as they unbalance the rifle badly and get in the way. Now somebody tries to market them for a Mosin WHY? Bill :o
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The carbine's pouches were made for a belt, not the buttstock, they just happened to fit on the buttstock and became popular used in that way by the GI's.
Theodore Roosevelt
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

I just looked at this "idea" :brolleyes: .

While I would "pack my M38 & a M39 for any evacuation (along with a couple of 'black rifles and their ammo) because of a "civil" disruption.........10 rounds????.

Hell if TSHTF then 10 rounds aint squat. I'd likely want 10 :spam2: or better still 10 crates. :thumbsup:

Also my face doesn't need any more lines on it and with the tie-down lacing you will end up with a XXXX cheek tatoo. :chuckles:
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It might fit a belt, probably on the large side but it would work, a last ditch ten rounds.
Theodore Roosevelt
mrb7

Post by mrb7 »

What's wrong with the leather pouch that came with rifle in the first place?

I carry ammo in them to the range all the time. Works just like they were designed. I have some slung on an old belt.
"The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King, Jr.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

mrb7 wrote:What's wrong with the leather pouch that came with rifle in the first place?

I carry ammo in them to the range all the time. Works just like they were designed. I have some slung on an old belt.
The leather pouch is fine if you are in Soviet Uniform and wearing it on your belt on the outside, but if you wanted to carry a couple of spare clips while hunting a US style belt clip pouch has less of a profile and fits well under coats and such. For the range I use a .50 USGI ammo box, keeps things clean and dry as some of the ranges I shoot on are dusty or sandy, sometimes there is rain, and I am packing 200+ rounds with me.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

The leather pouches work great while at the range for carrying ammo and just about anything plus they are cheap in most sources I have seen and use. They are so good someone is making repro ones now so there has to be a market. I have seen so many variations I bet they might be fun to start collecting them. Many well known collectors started collecting stripper clips and have huge cxollections with many different variations, not my cup of tea but that is what makes the world go around I guess. Bill :)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

If you want a repo clup holder get the GI ammo belt ten pocket clip pouch.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I found a GI style ammo clip belt the other day I forgot I had, it's black web with ten snap pockets, it was full of .303 brit o the clip, all POF of course, but still good for the bullets.
Theodore Roosevelt
Shananigens

Post by Shananigens »

butt stock ammo holder is what I made for mine , I do a hobby leather business and soon as I got my Mosin I made a leather sling and dog collars ,same as original but leather, and 3 stock ammo holders . Holds 2 stripper clips on bolt side the other is straight ,leather laces on at the bottom so no lace against cheek as some one mentioned , I made mine with a tula arsenal mark carved into side and one for my buddy with a Izhvesk mark , shot them with them on and does not get in the way will post some pics of what I came up with and if anyone wants will link my page.
On another note the mosin pouches are great have a few , one for cleaning kit stuff , one for ammo , two I use at work for screws and such on my belt . And like I said I am a leather worker and someone mentioned people are repro'ing them . Speaking as a leatherworker we cannot make these like they did and not at a good price , we can do same design out of vegtan leather but the sewing is not easy . the ones I saw were nicely made handsewn and 60 bucks , something hard to find yes go to a leatherworker , Mosin pouches go surplus , under 5 ea on auction sites
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Reproducing commie ammo pouches? Who is doing that, slings yes, because there were a lot of Finn, and Balkan Mosins imported back in the 90's with no slings, type 53's also. Ammo pouches came with every refurb, some had two, I have a big sack of them around here someplace from all my refurbs, they are more canvas than leather. So far I have found that the issue commie two pocket ammo pouch will hold clips of not only 7.62 Russian, but .303 Brit, 8mm Lebel, 8mm Mauser, US M2 ball, 7.62x51mm, and 7.65 Argentine. Probably other clips as well. The Soviets also issued a all leather sling, they are just not as common as the web slings.
Theodore Roosevelt
Silk#2

Post by Silk#2 »

I just use one of these when hunting coyotes....cheap and doesn't encumber or get in the way at all...only holds 9 but more than I need for a hunt.. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The 8
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Silk#2 wrote:I just use one of these when hunting coyotes....cheap and doesn't encumber or get in the way at all...only holds 9 but more than I need for a hunt.. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
How many do you need when you go hunting? :bwink:

Dolk