GOnna get a Black Powder Kit i think

If it fires black powder, it is discussed here.
VelocityKnives

GOnna get a Black Powder Kit i think

Post by VelocityKnives »

Hey,

Been thinking of getting a .50 cal black powder rifle,,,, my grandfather died a few years back and i got all his black powder supplies minus any firearm there might have been at one time,,, basically i have everything i need to shoot 50 cal round balls for the next 100 yrs or so,,,,,lol 15 lbs of GOEX 2f,,,, 2000 , 50 cal balls a bullet mold, 4000 extra hot caps,,,, etc.... Powder horn, possibles bag, powder measures short starters, etc... All i need now is a RIFLE,,,,,,,

Ive been thinking of either Buying a KIT to build myself like the traditions Kentucky rifle kit in 50 cal or Trading someone a Few Custom Knives for a KIT or finished rifle of some type. I figure i have the MOSINS,, SKS, .22 pistol/rifle, 16ga iver single shot but i need a Muzzle loader to even things out.

My thinking is, With a Muzzle loader and having all the supplies I already have for a .50 cal rifle,,,,, having one would mean i could shoot it if i had the urge to shoot and save the cartridge gun Ammo for " other" things if the world comes to that, and Having a mold etc. i could sit around a campfire and mold round balls all day for it if need be, And its still a Fine firearm to take large game with. and accuracy out to 150 to 200 yards should be fine with a patched round ball in a 1-66 in twist barrel.

So any Ideas, or does anyone have a lead on a good KIT to get,,,, im trying to stay in the 400.00 or under range in cash or trade,,, and i think i should be able to find something fitting those prices. I haven't heard of a Big RUN on muzzle loaders lately in this wacky panic buying we live in currently so i think i should still be able to find average pricing on a BP rifle somewhere.

And the best part i found out is there aren't the restrictions on BP rifles so they can be sent right to your home.

Regards,
AL
Weapons:

91/30 1943 Mosin Counterbore
91/30 1943 Mosin
.22 Marlin 25N Rifle
.22 Ruger Mark 3 Slabside competition
CZ40B .40 s/w
Taurus PT-92AF 9mm
Iver Johnson 16ga single shot Champion Model
SKS Chinese Security Force 7.62x39
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: GOnna get a Black Powder Kit i think

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

No idea who has kits anymore, But you should be able to find a basic Hawken style .50 for under $400, they are popular anyplace that allows BP for hunting. Maybe Cabelas, Dixie Gun Works, or Track of the Wolf.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

If you want to shoot round ball, you need to stick with a slow rate of twist on the barrel. I'm doing the same thing you're talking about, just picked up a jug of Pyrodex today as a matter of fact, figure I'll leave the cartridge stuff in the cans till this mess sorts itself out.

I'm lazy, found a local feller who casts boolits for me for $16 per 100, lol.
VelocityKnives

Post by VelocityKnives »

Hey,

Everything ive seen says that anything from a 1/48 inch twist to 1/77 inch twist is fine for patched round ball,,,, i was looking at a Knight inline the other day but its twist was 1/28, to fast for a round ball, and since i have so much stuff for patched 50 cal round ball im going to stick with that,,,, The One KENTUCKY kit im looking at has a 1/66 inch twist so it should do quite well i think,, its like 279.00 to my door,,,,

regards,
AL
Weapons:

91/30 1943 Mosin
.22 Marlin 25N Rifle
CZ40B .40 s/w
Taurus PT-92AF 9mm
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Having done a few kits i would suggest a better rifle then the traditions. Don't get me wrong it is a nice rifle but the stocks have a lot to be desired. I did a traditions kit and a lymans kit and the lyman is head and shoulder and waist ahead of the traditions. Not sure what they cost any more but the lyman was about double the traditions. If you want a test rifle i think the traditions is good. There may be other kits by traditions that have a better stock but not sure. I think thompson center used to make a kit too but not sure. Have fun with them and they are fun. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
VelocityKnives

Post by VelocityKnives »

Hey,

I also did see the LYMAN kit your referring to it was a dual barrel Lug Hawken type mountain rifle,,,, i think they were right around 574.00 or so on the lyman website , but they sure look sweet,,,,, maybe ill save a bit more and get somthing like that,,, i want it to turn out nice and be quality,,,,, thanks for the info about LYMAN,,,,,,

regards,
AL
Weapons:

91/30 1943 Mosin
.22 Marlin 25N Rifle
CZ40B .40 s/w
Taurus PT-92AF 9mm
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

If i remember, and that is a big if. I will take a picture of them both. Now i did do a little more to the lyman but not a whole lot. I have used both hunting but had trouble with the traditions which i have since remedied. I had a problem with the nipple on the no 11 and it would like a light strike. The barrel channel was at a set distance there if i remember so the lock and the nipple would be inline so i switched over to the musket nipples and caps and it works great now. The lyman i just use the no 11 caps on it and it works great. It has a snail type (?) touch hole or what ever they call it and it seems to work just fine. I think i paid around $375 or something like that many ,many many like 8 years ago for it. I can't remember what the traditions was but it was under 200 i believe. Oh and the lyman is a .54 cal. When i opened the kit i was imediatley impressed with the stock over the traditions. If the traditins is still fairly cheap, you can always have 2 rifles. :thumbsup: :lol:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Dragunov sniper 777

Post by Dragunov sniper 777 »

if in ya gonna say's it , say's it right , im a gonna git me a thunderstick ...LOL ...

the lyman kits are the best , i get all my stuff from dixie gun works and track of the wolf , i would like to build a 6 gauge blunderbuss , now thats a thunder stick ... :devil2: :popgun:
i am so poor i can only afford mustard and biscuits three times a week ..
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Bangstick :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Ok there you go. These are bad fotos and i did them in a hurry but i at least did remember...barely. The lyman is the daarker one on the bottom. It is a plains rifle. The traditions is a hawkens kit. These recieved the same treatment, at first. Same stain, same color of stain and stock wax from those little bottles. The traditions is in hunting dress still and was used more for hunting by my son so it may show alittle more wear but not much. I will add a little about the sights. While the traditions has adjustable fiber optic sights, which i like alot, it is not anymore accurate then the lyman with its more athentic style. I would stack the lyman up against anything out there up to around 80 yds. Sucker just shoots that good. The traditions is accurate and will shoot almost as good and is a viable hunting weapon. The stocks are of different wood and were different color startingout and that is why the differences in the looks. The lyman weighs at least 10 tons but it helps with the steadying and kick and i will always go for MORE POWER :lol: I just like the bigger calibers. I am searching out a 58 if i can swing it. They sold the one i was after damit all. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.