Lost Squadron Of Pickled Spitfires Found

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
audadvnc

Lost Squadron Of Pickled Spitfires Found

Post by audadvnc »

Here's a set of nice mil-surp weapons that you guys can drool over: a dozen or more brand new Spitfire fighter aircraft, still in their shipping crates. Yeah!! :pointdown:

http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archives/a ... tml#206526

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/british- ... es-myanmar

"Aviation historians and warbird enthusiasts are drooling at the discovery of at least 12 and maybe as many 20 perfectly preserved brand-new Spitfire Mark 14s buried in Myanmar, which was formerly Burma. Thanks to the tenacity (and apparently considerable diplomatic skills) of British farmer David Cundall, the lost squadron of pristine fighters was found where they were buried by U.S. troops in 1945 when it became clear they wouldn't be needed in the final days of the Second World War. At least a dozen of the aircraft, one of the latest variants with their 2,035-horsepower Roll Royce Griffon engines replacing the 1,200-1,500-horsepower Merlins in earlier models, were buried without ever being removed from their original packing crates."

"YANGON, Myanmar (AP) 1/6/13— A search team led by a British aviation enthusiast arrived in Myanmar on Sunday to begin a dig they hope will unearth dozens of rare British Spitfire fighter planes said to have been buried in the Southeast Asian country at the end of World War II.
"The 21-member team led by farmer and businessman David Cundall will start excavations soon near the airport in the main city, Yangon.
"Cundall said the aircraft were buried in wooden crates around 30 feet under the ground and the project would take about four to six weeks to complete.
"'We are expecting them to be in first-class condition," Cundall said shortly after arriving at the international airport in Yangon."

Now I know what I really wanted for Christmas!
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Lost Squadron Of Pickled Spitfires Found

Post by Rongo »

Now that's some really good news!! :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

Wow! :big shock: Now that is cool.
mrb7

Post by mrb7 »

Well the Jan 6 update is the first I've heard of it in months.

Most folks I've heard were beginning to dismiss it all as fanciful tall tales.

Maybe there will be one news after all.
"The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King, Jr.
jayrocka1200

Post by jayrocka1200 »

that is awesome, wonder if they're C & R elligible !
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:pointup: :lol: :lol: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

the Spitfire may not have been the best fighter of WW II but damn if it wasn't the best looking.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Be nice to have one for the collection :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Mike

Post by Mike »

Small setback in this story, no Spitfires to be found: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/aviatio ... nters.html
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1941 Tula Nagant Revolver
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Mike wrote:Small setback in this story, no Spitfires to be found: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/aviatio ... nters.html
Sounded too good to be true. And if they did get buried I'm sure some locals knew of it. Wouldn't surprise me if they got dug up years previously.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Well shit, I was looking forward to having one for the collection, just the look on peoples faces after they ask "what you got in that crate over there?" :)
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Dragunov sniper 777

Post by Dragunov sniper 777 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Well shit, I was looking forward to having one for the collection, just the look on peoples faces after they ask "what you got in that crate over there?" :)
uh , you get all the good toy's , me first , i have always wanted to do a straffing run :devil2: ..LOL :thumbsup:
i am so poor i can only afford mustard and biscuits three times a week ..
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Not me, I'll just keep it in the box, I crash better than I fly.
Theodore Roosevelt
A J

Post by A J »

Rongo wrote:
Mike wrote:Small setback in this story, no Spitfires to be found: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/aviatio ... nters.html
Sounded too good to be true. And if they did get buried I'm sure some locals knew of it. Wouldn't surprise me if they got dug up years previously.
Yeah, it would have been a miracle if nobody got to them first. If they were found they were probably stripped and used for stupid things like roofing material, tractor engines and whatever crazy short-term thinking project that came up. I saw the same sort of thing in Iraq. You'd give the Iraqi Army a completely refurbished military base and within a week, they'd completely loot it and then complain later that there's no air conditioning. Typical 3rd World thinking.

The Spitfire is, in fact a stunningly beautiful aircraft. What makes it even more stunning is its history of helping to save England. For all intents and purposes, it has ALWAYS been used by the "good guys." Same goes with the M1 Garand. My Mosins on the other hand, have a mixed history of service with both good and bad.