sks's for sale for 229.00

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
BubbaDX

Re: sks's for sale for 229.00

Post by BubbaDX »

I have been seriously considering buying one from J&G. They are advertising them as "functioning shootable rifles". Plus having them ship it to my door is really cool.
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
optikalillushun

Post by optikalillushun »

What would make these so desirable? What makes them different then the Norico's (sp)?
To many to list, many more to get, not enough money :-D
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

They are Norincos I thought. It's an opportunity for collectors to get a Chinese SKS that has been issued, or even get one at all. It's been almost 20 years since the imports from China were banned.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
optikalillushun

Oh ok, so the Norico i saw at the gun show a few weeks ago was probably imported over 20 years ago? Passed that up for my Yugo M59...
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Unless it was one of the recent Balkan imports then yes, it would be an older import . The Chinese started flooding the US market with SKS rifles in the late 1980's until anti gun types got the imports banned. They brought in a shitload of them,and prices were under a hundred bucks. They ranged from brand new made rifles to Chinese military surplus rifles, some so used the wood was rotting off them.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
optikalillushun

Cool info, now i know if i find one its probably an old import. Twas the only one i saw also...now i know why.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Once they were as common as dirt at every show, a dozen sellers in Shotgun news, now they are all hidden away in private collections.
Theodore Roosevelt
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

When mine is delivered I will post pictures. :thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Theodore Roosevelt
jayrocka1200

Post by jayrocka1200 »

BubbaDX wrote:When mine is delivered I will post pictures. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Do they let you pic the one you want or is it luck of the draw?
Theodore Roosevelt
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

Its mostly luck of the draw. J&G has an option to pay $20 extra for a hand selected rifle. I chose this option. They have another option to pay $20 more and they try to pick you a model with matching numbers. I chose the option for the hand selected and paid the $20 extra. Now to jump through their hoops and get that baby shipped. They apparently want a mailed copy of my C&R. That will delay shipping by a couple days.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Did you ask them to find one with stock carvings? :) Sounds like you can weed out the worst condition ones by paying the extra $20, not a bad deal.
Theodore Roosevelt
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Did you ask them to find one with stock carvings? :)
No, but that is a good idea. Might get a really unique SKS that way, you never know.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

If you asked they would probably think you were insane, " he wants one with a defaced stock? Oh boy do we have one for him! OK boys, looks like we finally sold the scrimshaw SKS " :) Not realizing that these are the most interesting :)
Theodore Roosevelt
howiebearse

Post by howiebearse »

those particular Chinese sks carbines came from the balkans region and are battle worn but collectable do to the fact of where they have been They are all early Factory 26 guns some are matched some not many oddball stocks from all over the region. You can be sure nobody allowed these guns to be imported and sold as C&R without the permission of the feds. Neither would they get into the country nor would they be allowed C&R status unless they could come to a deal with BATFE. I am keeping a serial number list on them on two boards also photos in my files of whats been posted go to gunboards.com and sks and ak section see the sticky I have there to see these serial numbers which seem to show a large shipment of aid at one time many serial numbers are close. some are below 1 million or 1956 and many are 2 and 3 million range 1958 and 1959
jayrocka1200

Post by jayrocka1200 »

very cool, ill check that out thanks Howiebearse......awaiting Bubbadx's pics..

edit* just visited Gunboards....great work you are doing to compile info. on these sks's I feel much better about ordering one....now I just need to pull the trigger on one !
Slow Ride

Post by Slow Ride »

I picked up one of these from AIM last week and just broke it down for cleaning tonight. It does have matching numbers throughout, the bore was better than expected and the overall condition was fair to good as described by AIM. Only complaint is that it didn't have the operating rod and spring in it. I've ordered those parts from Liberty Tree ($8) and I'll post some pics once I get it back together. It does have some rust spots on it - how should I treat these areas? I've sprayed it with CLP and will let it soak, but I'm curious as to what I should do (if anything) longer term. Thanks.
jayrocka1200

Post by jayrocka1200 »

can you post some pics ?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Slow Ride wrote:I picked up one of these from AIM last week and just broke it down for cleaning tonight. It does have matching numbers throughout, the bore was better than expected and the overall condition was fair to good as described by AIM. Only complaint is that it didn't have the operating rod and spring in it. I've ordered those parts from Liberty Tree ($8) and I'll post some pics once I get it back together. It does have some rust spots on it - how should I treat these areas? I've sprayed it with CLP and will let it soak, but I'm curious as to what I should do (if anything) longer term. Thanks.
Take some light oil and pour it on the rusty spot, then scrub it with one of your copper bore brushes until the oil turns orange. Wipe the oil, check to see if you got all the rust, if not apply more oil and scrub again.
Theodore Roosevelt