Spam cans of 7.62x39

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
mrb7

Spam cans of 7.62x39

Post by mrb7 »

I want to put away a couple of spam cans of 7.62x39 for long term storage, but all i know about this size is boxed.

SG Ammo has FMJ and HP from Tula in cans, non-corrosive. Is the stuff good?

For an AK platform, but eventually I want to pick up an SKS, too.

Does anyone have a suggestion? Something better than either of these?

Thanks,
MB
"The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King, Jr.
WeldonHunter

Re: Spam cans of 7.62x39

Post by WeldonHunter »

mrb7 wrote:I want to put away a couple of spam cans of 7.62x39 for long term storage, but all i know about this size is boxed.

SG Ammo has FMJ and HP from Tula in cans, non-corrosive. Is the stuff good?

For an AK platform, but eventually I want to pick up an SKS, too.

Does anyone have a suggestion? Something better than either of these?

Thanks,
MB
Man where were you earlier this year? He had the Ulyanovsk in tins which is basically the same thing for $125. Tula is decent ammo. I have a bunch of it. The Golden Tiger is good stuff. It's FMJBT and is a bit more accurate. He usually runs a deal for 1000rds in a .50Cal can for $254.95 shipped. That's 25.5 cents a round and the tins are 25.9 cents a round. That would work for longterm storage and it's better ammo. He's showing that he's out of stock of them but he has the 1000rd cases and he has ammo cans. If you wanted to go that route I could ask him if he could make you up some cans of the Golden Tiger. Depends on if he can break up a 12 pack of the ammo cans. He's running a deal on 50 cal cans so it depends that. Otherwise the Tula is fine too. Both will keep longer than we'll be alive. Both are fine for an SKS. That what I use it in.
mrb7

Post by mrb7 »

WeldonHunter wrote:Man where were you earlier this year?
Uh? Out to lunch? Head up, err wait. Smokin' crack with Satan on Sunday mornings?

Hell, I wasn't paying attention. Isn't that obvious? Then again, my wife says I never pay attention.

I'm specifically looking for a few cans to put away long term, like until hell freezes or something. So the spam cans have my eye right now, but an ammo can works.
"The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King, Jr.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I have had a couple of spam cans of 7.62x39 stashed away for 10 years or more, I don't remember what it is other than Russian. The rest of the '39 I bought boxed and packed it myself in .50 cans
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

mrb7 wrote:
WeldonHunter wrote:Man where were you earlier this year?
Uh? Out to lunch? Head up, err wait. Smokin' crack with Satan on Sunday mornings?

Hell, I wasn't paying attention. Isn't that obvious? Then again, my wife says I never pay attention.

I'm specifically looking for a few cans to put away long term, like until hell freezes or something. So the spam cans have my eye right now, but an ammo can works.
Well the spam cans are great for long term storage. The ammo will last in them indefinitely. Well at least 50+ years. That's not until hell freezes over but longer than you or I will be around I'd say most likely. My point is the spam cans of this have been very popular lately so the price is up on them a bit and a lot of places don't have them right now. They were down around $130. Now they're up over $145. The good thing is long term storage. The ammo that's inside is the same ammo you buy in boxes. It's packed with the same 20rd boxes you buy seperately. The down side is once opened now you need to put them in something, an ammo can, if you don't plan on shooting them all. The good thing about ammo cans is you can shoot what you want when you want or just leave them. Your choice. Sam has a deal right now on the 50cal cans for $135 for 12 of them shipped. You can never have to many of them in my opinion. I have around 100 of them of different types around here. Here's the last batch I got from Sam and they're the same he's selling right now. The one on top is one I haven't wiped down yet with Breakfree CLP. They have masking tape across the top and you'll need to use some lighter fluid or something similar to soften it up to get it off. http://www.sgammo.com/product/surplus/1 ... escription
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mrb7

Post by mrb7 »

WeldonHunter wrote:...The Golden Tiger is good stuff. It's FMJBT and is a bit more accurate. He usually runs a deal for 1000rds in a .50Cal can for $254.95 shipped. That's 25.5 cents a round and the tins are 25.9 cents a round. That would work for longterm storage and it's better ammo. He's showing that he's out of stock of them but he has the 1000rd cases and he has ammo cans. ...

Just got the email that it's back in stock.

Putting in an order tonight.
howiebearse

Post by howiebearse »

ammunition that is packed in spam cans is packed in a vacuum so no air can speed up corrosion. I have seen WW1 .30 ammo packed in sealed cans in crates opened in like the day it was packed condition. When you repack in GI cans it would be advisable to pack some desiccant bags in with it. Mark the can with date and every year check it. I just bought some Russian 1947 ball in clips and it was as new from the spam can. One thing they teach in Special Forces is you do not need a big supply of ammunition to try and haul around in a fluid situation. If the country went to crap all you need is a basic load as it is impossible to hold any ground in a defense. You are better off moving around and being in offense taking from the enemy you choose to dispose of what you need. small groups work best taking only what you need to survive for short time with you.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You can also remove the oxygen from the GI can's by "pouring" argon into them. Argon is a gas welders would be familiar with, it's an oxy displacer,stick the tube from the gas regulator down into the can, hold a lit candle at the top, when the flame goes out you seal it up. Do this only outdoors as argon will take your breath away, literally.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Sirex

Post by Sirex »

I have been considering buying some Tula x39 in spam cans just because they are easier to stack and store with my 54r spam cans. Just keep in mind the HP Tula in spam cans contains the standard 122gr bullet, not the 8m3, like the 124gr HPs, which I have NOT seen in cans yet. I thought someone put silver bear in a can, or at least advertised it, but that was a year or so ago.
desertgunner

Post by desertgunner »

:D Hi, Sirex,
I have been shooting .39 from Walmart starting with with Ulyanovsk and then changed to Tula .39. Have not found (so far) any seller for $4.97 a 20 box plus tax. Internet offers go under that, but there is still ~$25 for shipping, minimum at around 500 rounds, so it's easier to go WM, talk to the guy in charge and maybe even get a 10% discount on 25 boxes, as I got.
Been shooting Ulyanovsk and Tula from Walmart for years now, would sure like to buy some cans for Zoombie times, so will probably do tomorrow from SGA, seems to be a good deal. Thanks all for the info in this thread :D
"FOR WE ARE MANY"
An armed Public consists of Citizens, an unarmed Public consists of Subjects!
desertgunner

Post by desertgunner »

MRB7,hi,

Tula as mentioned above is good stuff, cycles great , not one FTF so far in 5 years. No cracks, no sticks. And pretty accurate at 100m with open sights.
"FOR WE ARE MANY"
An armed Public consists of Citizens, an unarmed Public consists of Subjects!