WASR 10/63 Magazine questions

Everything Semi and Automatic is discussed here. Can be Military or civilian.
AK's, AR's, FN, VZ, FAL, and so on. (Post WWII)

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Three_Dogs

WASR 10/63 Magazine questions

Post by Three_Dogs »

I have a Romanian WASR 10/63 and have questions about the high capacity magazines. Mine came with (2) steel 30 rounders and I have bought (2) more steel 30 rounders. My questions are are all AK47 style magazines interchangeable? Are the after market ones by TAPCO good and what are good prices for the steel and the Tapco ones. I may have paid to much for my 2 extra ones, I paid $25 each for them is that about right? All 4 of my steel ones fit pretty good and seem to feed good. I know some of the early WASRs had issues with loose magazines.
If corporations are people, when will we see one executed?
WeldonHunter

Re: WASR 10/63 Magazine questions

Post by WeldonHunter »

Three_Dogs wrote:I have a Romanian WASR 10/63 and have questions about the high capacity magazines. Mine came with (2) steel 30 rounders and I have bought (2) more steel 30 rounders. My questions are are all AK47 style magazines interchangeable? Are the after market ones by TAPCO good and what are good prices for the steel and the Tapco ones. I may have paid to much for my 2 extra ones, I paid $25 each for them is that about right? All 4 of my steel ones fit pretty good and seem to feed good. I know some of the early WASRs had issues with loose magazines.
I don't own an AK yet and have never shot one. $25 sounds a bit high. Depends what kind of TAPCO you bought I guess. Look here http://gun-deals.com/index.php?dealtype ... 1&subcat=1 and compare what you bought to what's in the list. I see these come up for sale all the time and if you catch them on sale you can get surplus mags. for a decent price.
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

Never tried Tapco mags in either of my Mak-90s, I have just always used the surplus magazines like Aim Surplus sells. No issues thus far from them and less than $25 each. I also ended up with 6 Yugoslavian mags that will hold the bolt open on the last round, but those were purchased a while ago. I'm sure if you dig, you will find cheaper(WeldonHunter has that part covered :thumbsup: ). And, even though it looks like they it may fit, an AK, the VZ-58 mags won't fit an AK :thumbsup:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx? ... groupid=15
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx? ... groupid=15
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

No idea about the WASR, but it looks like an ordinary AK to me. Best AK mags I ever had were the East German ones, they fit my Arsenal SLR95, and Maddi perfectly.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Three_Dogs

Post by Three_Dogs »

Thanks guys, yes, I paid too much, you live and you learn. I need to mail order stuff more often.
Ban-One

Post by Ban-One »

As far as I know all AK mags are supposed to work in the WASR's and I have never had any give me problems but I have only used steel magazines. The early WASR's had a bad reputation for magazine wobble due to some poor QC by Century Arms when they opened up the mag wells. The WASR 10/63's seem to be of much better quality and have less magazine wobble but it is different from rifle to rifle. When i bought mine there were 10 or so to choose from so I tried all of them. They all exhibited some mag wobble and some were better than others. Not to worry though, that magazine isnt going anywhere. I have picked up my WASR 10/63 upside down holding the magazine and shook the living snot out of it and the magazines hold just fine. The wobble is more of an annoyance than anything else but you dont notice it at the range. What you have to be careful of is not the side to side wobble but the forward to rear wobble. Excessive movement of the magazine in a front to back motion can cause mis-feeds and failure to fire situations as the rounds dont sit up high enough for the bolt to strip the new round out of the magazine.
Last edited by Ban-One on Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nmcqueen469

Post by nmcqueen469 »

I have 8 TAPCO mags and they all run perfectly in my WASR.
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

I can't speak to the WASR 10, but a friend's son has one and complains the Pro-Mag and TAPCO are too tight. He sticks with the steel Romanian mags.

I have an Arsenal, Inc. AK (Izhmash receiver) and it eats anything; Pro-Mag, TAPCO, Chinese, Bulgarian -- doesn't matter.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I have the tight problem when using my one Hungarian 40 rounder in the Maddi, it goes on easy enough, but can be a bitch to get back off.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

i have found that surplus steel ones work better than the plastic and are usually much more reasonable in price. $25.00 seems a bit on the high side
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Mountain Man

Post by Mountain Man »

CDNN sells AK mags for somewhere around $10-12. Many are new plus they have a lot of surplus. I have a Hungarian AK -47 and a 74 and they all take the same mags. $25 sounds awful high to me.
Three_Dogs

Post by Three_Dogs »

Thanks to all for your replys, I will be mail ordering 6 more soon.
BoyScout91

Post by BoyScout91 »

Tapco magazines are for the gun range in my opinion and can be had for under ten dollars each. They work ok but the lips on the magazine can be scrapped up when loading the magazine into the gun.

Steel magazines work good. They are nearly indestructible but they rust if you are not careful. The steel mags are way more reliable in almost every Ak-47 I have shot or read about. Can be had from 10 dollars to 20 dollars.

The best magazine according to my friend is the Bakalite magazines. They cost 40 plus dollars each and you have the best of the Tapco and steel magazines. Durable and does not rust and reliable.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I use Russian Surplus mags I got from Sportsmans Guide years ago, they work perfectly.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

I bought my 30 rounders from AIM when they had them in stock for under $11 each, they were European surplus and work fantastic. I have a couple of the Tapco ten round mags for use during hunting season, they work fine and fit fine, I just prefer the steel personally. Check out SOG if you have a C&R or J&G, Centerfire, all the usual surplus sellers are around $13 for the 30 round mags now. While some say the new Korean mags work fine there are still shooters who complain about fit and function with them.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Recheck this link.
http://gun-deals.com/index.php?dealtype ... 1&subcat=1

I just put up 4 new listings and 2 are from AIM. One is Romanian 40rd and the other is 30rd Maadi surplus mags. Centerfire just listed a package deal for 10 40rd mags in a 50 cal ammo can. Those are new I believe. Copes Dist. also just listed some Eastern Block Surplus mags.
cuate

Post by cuate »

Went to my neighbor's to shoot my WASR AK and it wouldn't go into his "Lead Sled" to check for accuracy as the 30 round magazine was too long for the Lead Sled. Ordered a Tapco 10 round magazine, cured that problem and it works and feeds fine. I use it for plinking around here on my farm but if bad situation ever occured the loaded 30 rounders are withing arm's reach. And beside the point, I ordered a Tapco stock for AKs and like it much better than that little issue wooden one, And no sliding-bump fire stocks for me, I don't have the desire to waste ammo. But for they who do, I'm all for you. :D
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Lead sled? Your friend was trying to fit an SKS into a 1951 Mercury Chopped top custom? I never had luck with SKS extended magazines, the ten round works best.
Theodore Roosevelt