Chinese conversion Type 38 Arisaka

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
racerguy00

Chinese conversion Type 38 Arisaka

Post by racerguy00 »

Here's an odd one for you. Type 38 Arisaka short rifle in caliber....wait for it.....7.62x39. The bore was bored out and according to some sources an chamber insert used for this conversion, Stock is shortened, mag follower notched for a sheet metal guide in the mag well that keeps the rounds to the rear. Bolt looks unmodified. Sling is interesting, Bore looked rough but cleaned up some especially after shooting. Functions normally, not very accurate but fun to shoot.

These conversions were apparently done to some of the captured Arisakas that the Chinese had on hand in the late 50s or early 60s. I'm not quite sure what the purpose was, but it's an interesting variation for sure. Impoort marked, so not a bringback.

On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Chinese conversion Type 38 Arisaka

Post by Longcolt44 »

Very interesting, nice catch.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Cool markings on the stock. Neat find.
joe7170

Post by joe7170 »

Racer, forgot to mention to you the other day when we picked that out, but Kevin wrote a article on these way back in the 80's. Your gun may be mentioned in there, I know the one I have is...

http://www.forgottenweapons.com/wp-cont ... rticle.pdf

I recommend everyone to read that as well, very interesting. The Chinese also converted type 38 long rifles to 7.62x39 also, but the most popular conversion was from 6.5 to 8mm mauser. I own 1 of each of these from the same collection racer got this one from. Fun guns to shoot, although they ain't too accurate :lol:
RIP Kevin Carney. Your always in our hearts.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Thanks for the link Joey. This one wasn't included in Kevin's article.

Here are a few more photos that didn't upload the first time for some reason.

On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Very cool

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Type99

Post by Type99 »

Very cool I'd love to find one. The sharp eyed will notice the sling is purpose made by the chinese for the type 38. The figures start at left " 3 8 type"
Cj556

Post by Cj556 »

Wicked neat Carbine
"Vertroue in God en die Mauser"