Gew 88 markings? Pictures Added!

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
ffuries

Gew 88 markings? Pictures Added!

Post by ffuries »

Found a stray homless 1890 Danzig Gew 88 at the local gun show today, that followed me home. Has been through Turkey, as evident by the half moon on the receiver, that is the only one I found on the rifle. There are several numbers on this thing, barrel, receiver so which number would I use/list as the serial number of the rifle? Also how do I determine what type of bayonet it takes? Now for the markings question on the barrel bands, I think I have figured them out for the most part, but there is one I can't figure out.

Front barrel band:

16.(cursive) R.4.142 16th Infantry Regiment, 4th Company, weapon 142 (All X'ed out)
F.E.B.K.1. Can't figure this one out

Rear barrel band:

11.(cursive) R.R.9.149 11th Reserve Infantry Regiment, 9th Company, weapon 149 (All X'ed out)
Last edited by ffuries on Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
desdem12

Re: Gew 88 markings?

Post by desdem12 »

If it has a import reciever number that is the one you use for the book. If not use the shank number. Where is this rifle????????????? I see no pics :vconfused: :beek:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

P.S. Nice find. I love my Gew 88 alot. What did ya give for it? Remember not to use surplus ammo in it. :D :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Near as i can tell they used the mauser M71 or M71/84 bayonet for these. Followed by the ersatz bayos 88-98. According to what i am reading they used what ever fit which was a lot of them. :D
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Were are the pics? There should be a serial number on the barrel shroud, the barrel itself, and the receiver, all on the left side near the wood line. Bolt should be serialized as well. PICS???????
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Mountain Man

Post by Mountain Man »

Back in 1979 Century sold these for $29 and could be shipped to your door. I bought two and gave one away.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

They were selling them in 1999 also, but for $45 or so.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Sorry for the delay in pictures, there was a family emergency. Ok now for the pictures and questions. Haven't taken it apart yet, but I can not find any import markings anywhere as of yet, unless it's under the wood.

Added: Also the rear sight has been remarked with Turkish Script. So the sight, and the half moon on the reciever are the only Turkish markings I am finding. There is a SN on the barrel, then a different one on the receiver, both on the left side just above the wood-line. Oh and picked it up for $200.00 out the door.

Last edited by ffuries on Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :vcool: :Drool1: These are some of the best looking oldies around!!! Your wood looks like mine with a dark reddish hew to it. I haven't seen the Z mark like that before but i have read what it means somewhere, but forgot of course. I am having trouble with the front barrel band screw on mine so i will suggest to start soaking that one before you try to take it down. Can't tell by the pictures but it looks like it has the 05 conversion or maybe the 1913 one. :D
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

05 conversion the notch on the left side of the receiver and the notch on the top of the receiver, and the plate put over the botton of the magazine well? If so then yes it does have the 05 conversion.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Yes the welded clip holderes on top of the reciever and the magazine cover. There are 2 different versions with the 05 ones being the better of the 2. The cutouot on the left side i am not sure of as mine does not have that. That might have been a turkish mod to resemble the cutout from the gew 98. Does the cutout take some of the Gew 88 away? I think that was done to assist in loading the clips. :D
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Stock does have a reddish color on the butt end, but forward of that it get's darker, almost a black. As you can see from the pics the Gew 88 is complete. So I am assuming that it might be a German 05 conversion.

Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
desdem12

Re: Gew 88 markings? Pictures Added!

Post by desdem12 »

It looks like it to me. :vcool: