Cleaning your rifle initially and after shooting!

Mosin Information Pages, Video's on setting firing pin protrusion, how to check headspace, the Mosin bolt,
MosinWiki, How to's on cleaning your Mosin, shooting too hight? and much more.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Cleaning your rifle initially and after shooting!

Post by Darryl »

Cleaning your rifle after shooting!
(This is not initial cleaning, see below for "Initial Cleaning")
Clean you rifles after shooting in a timely manner. Doesn't matter if it is corrosive ammo or not. Any rifle or handgun should be cleaned as soon as possible after shooting. You don't have to panic and do it at the range, these are battle rifles and can handle it for a reasonable amount of time. They did during WWII! Corrosive ammo makes it more important to do, but is perfectly safe for the firearm to use.

There is a nice cleaning article in our "Information Area" on how to break the rifle down.
http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.c ... index.html

Be careful to either protect your wood from water and solvents or cleaners, or better yet, remove the stock before cleaning.

[hr]
What you need to know about corrosive ammo and cleaning:

First: You have to get the salts out first. The salts come from the primer, not the powder. Water removes salt, but will have trouble with the powders and fouling. Boiling or very hot water works faster and better, but even cold water will remove all of the salts if used long enough and properly. Remember to clean the bolt also, not just the bore. Windex is OK, but it is the water that works in it, not the ammonia. The Ammonia does nothing to the salts. But the Ammonia can help clean the powder residue (but not the salts). Send the water down the barrel. Wasting your money on fancy cleaners to do it is not necessary. They will not clean the salts any better than plain cold water and just add to the costs. No matter what you use, (water, Windex, or any water based cleaners), you still must do the next step to clean the powders.

Second: you need to "clean the rifle" (powders and fouling), so you need a cleaner. Any good gun cleaner will work (or you can make your own...see "Ed's Red" below) I use Hoppies #9, but there are many that work quite well. Clean using patches soaked in your bore cleaner and clean the rifle from the receiver end. Cleaning it from the mussel end can damage the "crown" and that could effect accuracy. Using a good cleaning rod is a good idea also. Most will use a composite one piece cleaning rod, but others are acceptable. Finish off with dry patches.

Third: you then need to protect the rifle. Oil it. Use a good rifle oil. Any rifle oil will do, and there will be controversy as to which is best, but for short term storage, most of them work OK. Oil all metal parts lightly. I use "Break Free" but there are many good oils on the market. Put some on a patch and send it down the receiver end of the bore. Before firing the next time, make sure you run a few dry patches down the barrel to remove that oil (before shooting)

Don't forget to clean the bolt head and the magazine follower!

[hr]

Remember: (for cleaning after shooting)
Carburetor cleaner is for carburetors. It can remove paint used by the soviets on the metal work, and it devastating to shellac on the stock. Not recommended.

Brake cleaner is for brakes. It can remove paint used by the soviets on the metal work, and it devastating to shellac on the stock. If you do use it, be very careful.

Gun cleaner is for guns. But test your cleaner on a small hidden area of your metal, especially if it has painted parts. Always do this first!

A good cleaning rod. One that will allow you to clean your rifle from the breach side is good. Do not use the cleaning rod that came with it. It will only work from the muzzle end and is too hard and can do damage after a while.

Ed's Red Home Made Cleaner:

CONTENTS: Ed's Red Bore Cleaner

1 part Dexron II, IIe or III ATF, GM Spec. D-20265 or later.

1 part Kerosene - deodorized, K1

1 part Aliphatic Mineral Spirits, Fed. Spec. TT-T-2981F, CAS
#64741-49-9, or may substitute "Stoddard Solvent", CAS #8052-41-3, or
equivalent, (aka "Varsol")

1 part Acetone, CAS #67-64-1.

(Optional up to 1 lb. of Lanolin, Anhydrous, USP per gallon, OK to
substitute Lanolin, Modified, Topical Lubricant, from the drug store)

MIXING INSTRUCTIONS FOR "ER" BORE CLEANER:

Mix outdoors, in good ventilation. Use a clean 1 gallon metal,
chemical-resistant, heavy gage PET or PVC plastic container. NFPA
approved plastic gasoline storage containers are also OK. Do NOT use
HDPE, which is permeable, because the acetone will eventually evaporate.
The acetone in ER will also attack HDPE, causing the container to
collapse, making a heck of a mess!

Add the ATF first. Use the empty container to measure the other
components, so that it is thoroughly rinsed. If you incorporate the
lanolin into the mixture, melt this carefully in a double boiler, taking
precautions against fire. Pour the melted lanolin it into a larger
container, rinsing the lanolin container with the bore cleaner mix, and
stirring until it is all dissolved.

I recommend diverting a small quantity, up to 4 ozs. per quart of the
50-50 ATF/kerosene mix for optional use as an "ER-compatible" gun oil.
This can be done without impairing the effectiveness of the remaining
mix.

LABEL AND NECESSARY SAFETY WARNINGS:

RIFLE BORE CLEANER CAUTION: FLAMMABLE MIXTURE
HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED. KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN

1. Flammable mixture. Keep away from heat, sparks or flame.

2. FIRST AID, If swallowed DO NOT induce vomiting, call physician
immediately. In case of eye contact immediately flush thoroughly with
water and call a physician. For skin contact wash thoroughly.

3. Use with adequate ventilation. Avoid breathing vapors or spray mist.
It is a violation of Federal law to use this product in a manner
inconsistent with its labelling. Reports have associated repeated and
prolonged occupational overexposure to solvents with permanent brain and
nervous system damage. If using in closed armory vaults lacking forced
air ventilation wear respiratory protection meeting NIOSH TC23C or
equivalent. Keep container tightly closed when not in use.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR USING "Ed's Red (ER)" Bore Cleaner:

1. Open the firearm action and ensure the bore is clear. Cleaning is
most effective when done while the barrel is still warm to the touch
from firing. Saturate a cotton patch with bore cleaner, wrap or impale
on jag and push it through the bore from breech to muzzle. The patch
should be a snug fit. Let the first patch fall off and do not pull it
back into the bore.

2. Wet a second patch, and similarly start it into the bore from the
breech, this time scrubbing from the throat area forward in 4-5" strokes
and gradually advancing until the patch emerges out the muzzle. Waiting
approximately 1 minute to let the bore cleaner soak will improve its
action.

3. For pitted, heavily carbon-fouled "rattle battle" guns, leaded
revolvers or neglected bores a bronze brush wet with bore cleaner may be
used to remove stubborn deposits. This is unnecessary for smooth,
target-grade barrels in routine use.

4. Use a final wet patch pushed straight through the bore to flush out
loosened residue dissolved by Ed's Red. Let the patch fall off the jag
without pulling it back into the bore. If you are finished firing,
leaving the bore wet will protect it from rust for 1 year under average
conditions.

5. If the lanolin is incorporated into the mixture, it will protect the
firearm from rust for up to two years. For longer term storage I
recommend use of Lee Liquid Alox as a Cosmolene substitute. "ER" will
readily remove hardened Alox or Cosmolene.

6. Wipe spilled Ed's Red from exterior surfaces before storing the gun.
While Ed's Red is harmless to blue and nickel finishes, the acetone it
contains is harmful to most wood finishes).

7. Before firing again, push two dry patches through the bore and dry
the chamber, using a patch wrapped around a suitably sized brush or jag.
First shot point of impact usually will not be disturbed by Ed's Red if
the bore is cleaned as described.

8. I have determined to my satisfaction that when Ed's Red is used
exclusively and thoroughly, that hot water cleaning is unnecessary after
use of Pyrodex or military chlorate primers. However, if bores are not
wiped between shots and shots and are heavily caked from black powder
fouling, hot water cleaning is recommended first to break up heavy
fouling deposits. Water cleaning should be followed by a thorough flush
with Ed's Red to prevent after-rusting which could result from residual
moisture. It is ALWAYS good practice to clean TWICE, TWO DAYS APART
whenever using chlorate primed ammunition, just to make sure you get all
the corrosive residue out.

This "Recipe" is placed in the public domain, and may be freely
distributed provided that it is done so in its entirely with all current
revisions, instructions and safety warnings included herein, and that
proper attribution is given to the author.

In Home Mix We Trust, Regards, Ed

There are many ways to clean a rifle safely. This is just one of them. Usually this topic will launch a bunch of controversy, but most of the ways all work well. This is intended to offer one alternative to the beginner that works and is inexpensive (water is free). It is proven by many collectors and shooters that have many many years cleaning rifles, and has proven safe. But you should always approach any cleaning method with caution and go slowly and prove every ingredient that anyone suggest on a small hidden area of your rifle. It's your rifle and your responsibility to make sure nothing harms it. Take your time.

Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Re: Cleaning your rifle after shooting!

Post by Darryl »

Initial Cleaning

Initial cleaning is different and requires different methods to help remove the cosmoline for the first time.

So much depends on "the rifle" that it is hard to suggest one single method. Items such as "is there paint present on the metal" is critical to ask before this type of cleaning. So go slow and ask questions before you begin.

Myself, I do a complete breakdown of the rifle and separate the wood from the metal parts first. If you don't do this you stand a good chance of harming the wood stock.

Check the metal for any "painted areas" If no painted areas, you can use a "mild solvent" of any kind. Test it before you use it on a small area that don't show first. If it OK, you have your cleaner. I use mineral spirits (Thinner) if no paint is present because it is easy to get and cheap and it works. Try to stay away from the "hot" solvents like MEK or Acetone for may different reasons. Clean all the metal parts

Some will skip the above and use boiling hot water, or will use boiling hot water after the solvent. Again, you will come up with your way of doing it.

After, I scrub the bore. I use a brass wire brush. If the bore is terrible, some people will use JB bore cleaning paste on the bore. It really cleans it up. With the brass brush, use you favorite bore cleaner.

Patches next. Many patches with a good "bore cleaner" is next.

Then clean dry patches

Then a good gun oil.

Now I did not say exactly how many patches to use because if I say use 5 patches, someone will say that's wrong you have to use 6 patches, than another will chime in and say no, only 4 patches. You figure it out. But know this, if the bore on the first cleaning doesn't look perfect and the patches never come perfectly clean, it OK! Because the best way to clean it after that is take it to the range and fire a bunch of ammo through and then clean it again. It will be surprising to find out that the bore will clean up even easier after the first shooting. Yes, you can take some Windex or even just plain water with you and send it down the bore just after firing it at the range, just be careful of the wood!

I know this is fairly vague, but I had to be to be able to put "anything" on here without someone having a stroke. Chill. Enjoy your rifles and have fun coming up with "your special way" of cleaning it. :bwink:

Stock Cleaning

Remove the stock on initial cleaning and clean it separately. Again, everyone has their own way of cleaning the stock, but there are a few things to keep in mind. Alcohol will melt the shellac on the stock of a refurb'd Russian Mosin. Avoid that. Usually just wiping them down is sufficient.
Disclaimer: If you do the following wrap and put in a hot spot, you should know that sometime the cosmoline (grease) will leach from the stock and bubble up the shellac. This will give you a rough finish on the shellac. Some don't mind it snd we don't advocate "refinishing" with anything, so keep this in mind. I just wipe the stocks off with a dry towel and maybe a orange cleaner that will not touch the shellac. But it is your choice. Just be aware what could happen.
If it is loaded with cosmoline (and most are not), then wrap in in newspaper and put it in a black plastic garbage bag. Place the bag in the sun (in the front window inside a car is good, and the cosmoline will leach out into the newspaper. Wipe it off and you can use something mild like a orange cleaner to clean it. But first, always test the cleaner on a small section of the stock that does not show to make sure it will not damage your stock. Go slow, and take your time.

You may add your comments and personal cleaning practices below,
but if it is "bad advice" we will remove it so "new owners" do not ruin their new rifles.

If you see bad advice below, please PM me and I will take care of it. Thank You.

Dolk

WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

I'd like to add.....not one thing. :D Thanks Darryl. I know it took a while to put this together and it covers it all.
desertgunner

Post by desertgunner »

I don't know...
what else is there to say.

Maybe one little thing we were told by our sergeant in advanced trainig-shooting class about cleaning our arms:
"Your rifle is your extended arm to do your job. Dirty arms do dirty work or harm You, and not your target. So you better learn your cleaning routine, soldier!"

Thanks for 2 perfect posts!!! No :lol:, just :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: ....way cool.
"FOR WE ARE MANY"
An armed Public consists of Citizens, an unarmed Public consists of Subjects!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

First you clean, then you shoot, then you clean again, and later clean again. I was taught the rule of a clean weapon long ago and never forgot it.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
dou44

Post by dou44 »

great write up and almost the same as i do it.it should help some of the new guys.i need to make another batch of ed's red up. :thumbsup:
Three_Dogs

Post by Three_Dogs »

Thanks for this useful post. Very informative.
If corporations are people, when will we see one executed?
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Hi guys,

This is a great post, it's been very helpful.

I'm getting my first MN in a few weeks, which is also my first gun I've had since a kid (which my dad cleaned back then), so I'm a bit paranoid making sure I'm going to do all the right stuff. JYD and others have given me some advice so far, with this and the above info and the cleaning article I've put together a quick dot point list (based mainly on the cleaning article). I know everyone probably does things a bit different, but I'd be much obliged if someone could give this a quick look and just make sure I'm not making and obvious errors. Also I have 2 remaining questions: I'm assuming the muzzle protector goes on after you've flushed with water and before scrubbing the bore? Also, I was just going to use the original MN cleaning rod/gear that comes with it, using new solutions and patches though of course! Is that acceptable or is it better to use modern gear? Thanks for advice as always!

Initial Clean

- Leave stock wrapped in paper, inside black plastic bag in the sun. Wipe clean.
- Clean with citrus based cleaner, wipe and dry.
- Use toothpick for under bands
- For metal, use Kerosine (If no evidence of painting).

After Firing

- Strip down rifle
- Hot water down bore and receiver
- Spray barrel & receiver with Gun Scrubber, wipe down
- Run 1x patch through
- Spray Gun Scrubber into feeder/interrupter assembly
- Repeat for trigger assembly (optional)
- 1x patch soaked in Gun Scrubber
- Pour generous amount of Gun Scrubber into chamber and scrub with chamber brush
- Scrub area again with chamber brush soaked in Sweets 7.62.
- Wash bolt head with water
- Soak bolt and magazine assembly in a pan filled with solvent
- After soaking, use small Phillips head with patch to clean bolt head
- Squirt bolt head, body, cocking piece and guide again with Gun Scrubber, and clean inside and out
- Ensure metal is dry and not oily/greasy
- Repeat process with magazine assembly
- Coat all with gun oil
- Spray spring and firing pin with Gun Scrubber, wipe dry and coat with gun oil
- Run several patches of Sweet's 7.62 down bore
- If it looks dark, run J&B Bore Paste as directed
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Do not use the issued cleaning gear, the cleaning rod is made from the same ordinance steel as the rifles barrel and is responsible for most of the damage we find done to the bore . Get a nice commercial one piece cleaning rod from Tipton, or Dewey with a set of brass cleaning jags to screw onto it. They can be found on eBay or shooters supply houses.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Many thanks! Will do!
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

And don't be a BONEHEAD like someone I know (cuz' it's me). I have a 1942 Izhevsk 91/30 and the last time I shot it it started showing the dreaded STICKY BOLT syndrome. Soooooooooooo, I cut off a old aluminum pistol rod, chucked it in a power drill and put an tapered shotgun bore brush in the threaded end. I got the brush in the chamber and went to town, some old Soviet preservative came out and I used some patches to clean it up. Then I noticed that I cut the pistol rod too short. The very end of the drill's chuck scratched the area behind the tang screw. It left a real nice BRIGHT SILVER mark. As it is a refurb and had been touched up by 'Ivan' with some black enamel where the blue was worn when it went into storage, I slapped a little black enamel model paint on the spot and it looks okay but I know what happened and I know whose fault it is. This could have been very easily avoided by thinking this out just a little bit.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

What he means is use a length of shotgun cleaning rod, not a shorter pistol rod :) stick a 20 gauge bore brush on the end of the rod, wrap it with OOOO size steel wool, soak the wool with bore solvent or JB bore paste and drill it into the chamber for a minute, do not go into the rifling. This will clean out the crud stuck to the chamber walls, repeat as necessary.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

A 40" cleaning rod is ok for carbines but a 44" is much better when cleaning the m91/30 & m91.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The one I use is over 50" long, but I think Dewey stopped making it.
Theodore Roosevelt
mrb7

Post by mrb7 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:... This will clean out the crud stuck to the chamber walls, repeat as necessary.
I found that if you do this just shortly after you've been pouring the boiling water down the barrel the crud comes out way better. In fact, I found that after I got all the crud out, next time I poured more boiling water there was more crud.

Had to have been spirited in by elves. Couldn't have possibly been my ineffectual cleaning.
"The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King, Jr.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

[quote="Junk Yard Dog"]The one I use is over 50" long, but I think Dewey stopped making
I found that super long Dewey awhile back, maybe at Midway. That would be a great one for the long rifles.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

bunkysdad wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:The one I use is over 50" long, but I think Dewey stopped making
I found that super long Dewey awhile back, maybe at Midway. That would be a great one for the long rifles.
I just did a quick check and came up with this.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/320041 ... -32-thread
Whammytap

Post by Whammytap »

Interesting and informative thread! A quick anecdote from my VERY modest experience--I'd been using Hoppes #9 to clean my M44 after each shoot. Last Sunday, we shot some old Soviet surplus ammo through it and cleaned it with the Hoppes as usual. The next day, my other half came home with an OLD tin of military surplus bore cleaner. I don't know what was in it, but it included kerosene, so I'm guessing it must have been similar to the recipe above. He recommended that I clean my M44 again using the surplus solvent. I'm glad I did--we got so much crud out of the bore that hadn't been removed by the Hoppes!

We didn't find any more of the surplus cleaner at the gun show today, and I'm guessing that the chances of finding more are slim. I am very glad to have this recipe now!
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Whammytap wrote:Interesting and informative thread! A quick anecdote from my VERY modest experience--I'd been using Hoppes #9 to clean my M44 after each shoot. Last Sunday, we shot some old Soviet surplus ammo through it and cleaned it with the Hoppes as usual. The next day, my other half came home with an OLD tin of military surplus bore cleaner. I don't know what was in it, but it included kerosene, so I'm guessing it must have been similar to the recipe above. He recommended that I clean my M44 again using the surplus solvent. I'm glad I did--we got so much crud out of the bore that hadn't been removed by the Hoppes!

We didn't find any more of the surplus cleaner at the gun show today, and I'm guessing that the chances of finding more are slim. I am very glad to have this recipe now!
Just remember the most important part of the cleaning method above is to use hot/boiling water first after shooting surplus. Ed's red/other solvents are a secondary step but the first thing you have to do is wash out the salts left behind after shooting corrosively primed surplus ammo.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Whammytap wrote:Interesting and informative thread! A quick anecdote from my VERY modest experience--I'd been using Hoppes #9 to clean my M44 after each shoot. Last Sunday, we shot some old Soviet surplus ammo through it and cleaned it with the Hoppes as usual. The next day, my other half came home with an OLD tin of military surplus bore cleaner. I don't know what was in it, but it included kerosene, so I'm guessing it must have been similar to the recipe above. He recommended that I clean my M44 again using the surplus solvent. I'm glad I did--we got so much crud out of the bore that hadn't been removed by the Hoppes!

What did the can look like? Was it olive drab colored with US military markings on it? Hoppes is among the best of bore solvents but most people don't use it properly. They soak the patch, run in down the pipe and then chase it with a dry seconds later. Hoppes needs time to do it's work, I will soak a bore with it and set it aside for a few days, then run another wet patch and have it come out a solid purple green. So long as the salts have already been washed out and the bore has the hoppes in it there are no rust concerns, you can leave it sit a week, just don't stand it upright or the hoppes will run out the end of the barrel. Hoppes only eats copper fouling, it will not harm the steel of the bore, the longer it's left in the better it works. On a badly fouled rifle I will repeat the three day cycle for a few weeks.
Theodore Roosevelt