"Submitting for the Fall Rifle Contest"

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
kagero43

"Submitting for the Fall Rifle Contest"

Post by kagero43 »

I would like to submit this rifle for the Fall Rifle Contest, thank you:

Mosin-Nagant 91/30 PU Sniper
TULA Arsenal dated 1944

BACKGROUND
I purchased this rifle in May 2012 upon spotting it on a gun rack at a sporting goods store in cottage country about 2 hours from where I live (it is my first Mosin Nagant). While I am not an expert in Mosin Nagants (let alone MS snipers), I knew immediately that it was unique by the age, wear, and overall patina on both the gun, scope mount, and scope. I then noticed it had no import, refurbish, or electric pencil markings whatsoever - just a original but replaced PU scope done by a war-time arsenal. After some quick internet searching for info on Mosin snipers to ensure some comfort level before purchasing, I ended up trading a few things for it and paying about $600 out of pocket. The condition of the rifle when purchased was very dirty with a bore that was not cleaned in a very very long time. Loose screws needed tightening but otherwise in usable condition. No one at the the store knows anything about this gun. So far from feedback on the forums, it is an original issue WW2 Mosin Nagant sniper rifle. There is speculation that it could be one of the early guns to arrive either as a veteran bring back or imported prior to the fall of the iron curtain and before shipments of post-war re-arsenal WW2 pieces.

FIREARM DETAILS
The mount appears to be Izhevsk, but has rifle serial stamped on it that would appear to be from another Tula PU rifle. The bolt is Tula. The receiver is a reworked Izhevsk high wall, which is also very common on Tula PU rifles built in '43 and '44. The scope number on the barrel shank could likely be for a 1944 scope built at KOMZ, GOMZ, or factory 297 at Yoshkar Ola.

Receiver is properly marked “CH” for a TULA “sniper”, with matching numbers on receiver, bottom mag plate, and bolt

Barrel shank number on Tula is apparently correct but uncommon.

Tula stamps appear on smaller parts as well (e.g., barrel bands), suggesting an unrefurbished rifle.

Wood stock is not shellacked and appears in original finish and condition ( a very Matt finish). No markings on the stock except a number mark.

Leather sling appears original as well.

The cleaning rod is a replacement given newer blue finish and Soviet refurb mark.

Scope is original Krasnogorsk Plant and made of early version metal alloy. Scope finish is painted black enamel which is correct for this type of scope. There are also no refurb markings on the scope showing again that it is original factory. Scope, and scope mount are original.

kagero43
Last edited by kagero43 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kyle

PU Sniper for consideration in the "Showcase"

Post by Kyle »

That is a very beautiful looking rifle.

Kyle
Formerly kyle514

History admires the wise, but elevates the brave. - Edmund Morris
desdem12

Re: PU Sniper for consideration in the "Showcase"

Post by desdem12 »

Very Nice. :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Mike

Post by Mike »

Beautiful!
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1941 Tula Nagant Revolver
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53
finloq

Post by finloq »

Great photography as well.
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
awpk03s

Post by awpk03s »

Nice rifle! How does it shoot?
Themosinkid95

Post by Themosinkid95 »

The magazine floor plate looks like a stamped one instead of milled one which is rare
"Just when they think you're retreatin',you attack!"- Jeb Stuart
Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

Themosinkid95 wrote:The magazine floor plate looks like a stamped one instead of milled one which is rare
Yep. That feature appears only on 1944 Tula rifles, and lends credit to it not being a refurb.

The sling looks Romanian to me...
The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Showcase? Why isn't it there already!!!!

Thumbs up on the presentation, too. But a non-refurb sniper is really the show stopper here. Congrats, and nice gun.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Ron hasn't had a chance to see it yet, he is handling the showcase, Holiday time, give him a chance to look it over and confer with the rifles owner if need be. It is a nice looking rifle :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Knuckledragger

Post by Knuckledragger »

Great rifle-Love it!
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Ron hasn't had a chance to see it yet, he is handling the showcase, Holiday time, give him a chance to look it over and confer with the rifles owner if need be. It is a nice looking rifle :)
I know that he gets compensated well for his Moderator duties, $60,000 - plus per year. But does he get paid vacations, too?
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Yes, a trip to Izhevsk Russia during the winter months :)
He flies third class on board a former Soviet military cargo jet.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I like the fancy song in the izhevsk city vid in the lower right corner. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I like the bit in one video were they showed walls of snow higher than peoples heads as they walked down the street. :)
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I tell you what. Snipers, even nice ones don't really wow me all that much, but this one about knocked me out of my socks! Spectacular.:P
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

So forgive me... I'm slow.

You guys don't need my permission... If there's a consensus by all means post it up on the Showcase & send me a message!! I truly apologize for not seeing this earlier. :oops:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Three_Dogs

Post by Three_Dogs »

First time I read this thread. Very nice find, Thanks for sharing this GEM.
If corporations are people, when will we see one executed?
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

Wow :big shock: Like, how did I miss this one. :Drool1: I love it. Has that "been there, done that look" of a hard nosed battle rifle. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing :D :D
finloq

Post by finloq »

It certainly blows the current batch of Molot refurbs out of the water. I have never really been into snipers, so the current craze has not interested me. This fantastic presentation makes me wish I had paid more attention to them a few years ago.
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"