Finn 1926 Tula M91

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Homer2

Finn 1926 Tula M91

Post by Homer2 »

This is a Finn capture M91 from the last year the Soviets built M91s. It's on a 1917 Tula receiver, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was built on that. The Finns have been known to replace receivers on damaged rifles. Being that is it a 1926, it was not a left over from Independence, but a true wartime capture. I think the stock is also unique because it has a lightening hole in the butt, which not a lot have. The black walnut stock is most likely a US made stock. I need to take better pics of this one.

Flyin Brian

Re: Finn 1926 Tula M91

Post by Flyin Brian »

Nice one Homer. I love the Chattelerault stamp on the magazine housing, those are the coolest symbols.

I have a few that have mixed bands like that too; one of each type. I never thought of the hole as a lightening hole... since it is so small, but I never could figure out what it was for. I figured maybe they had a fixture with a dowel sticking up and set the stock on it so it stood straight up while applying the wood finish or sanding or something? Who knows, just guessing.

How does it shoot?
Homer2

Post by Homer2 »

Never shot it mostly because it has a crack behind the tang that I wasn't interested in aggravating. The hole in the stock may be a manufacturing feature like you say. I never really figured it out, but had to call it something.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool: Nice one. That is one dark stock. Nice bluing and 2 tone look. Sweet :Drool1: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

vgreve wrote:Do you have this? And would you be willing to sell it?
You been here ten seconds and you are after the mans rifle already? I don't think we have ever infected anybody with Mosinitis that quickly before! :chuckles: Welcome to the board, and nice rifle Homer, cool find :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

vgreve wrote:Do you have this? And would you be willing to sell it?

I guess he figured that if you don't ask you never know JYD!! :lol:

Homer I have looked at those holes like that for years and I too have no idea what they could have been for? I kind of like the mixed bands like that because it points out how desperate the Finn's were to get rifles on the line! Nice rifle for sure! Bill :wink:
Homer2

Post by Homer2 »

I always figured that a lot of the mixed bands are the result of the armory just putting together a serviceable rifle for storage. At the end of the Continuation War, these things were third line rifles at best. The holes in the stock are intriguing, but we'll probably never know why they are there.

Thanks for resurrecting this thread, vgreve. I still have this rifle and will offer it to you at the cost of a shiny nickel if you can get to my house in Bahrain in the next ten minutes. I live in Hidd if that helps. No more clues!

I'm sure I can find another 1926 Tula after all.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
cj1964

Post by cj1964 »

Nice rifle - the late 20's don't show up very often in M91. Thanks for sharing.
As for the holes under the butt plate - I recall an old post that had them under an M39 butt plate. That particular rifle had a couple of the round knothole plugs and the idea was that they used the core as plug material. I didn't see any plugs on this old walnut stock, but it's at least one theory as to the origin of the holes.
shoto2758

Post by shoto2758 »

Yes i have seen those core's and plugs on the same rifle also.Maybe they took a core of that one for some other rifle.
Very cool Homer.
:thumbsup:
Do Not Think Of Winning.
Think,Rather,Of Not Losing

Gichin Funakoshi
airbornetrooper

Post by airbornetrooper »

Homer,

Great rifle! You and I possess 2 of the 3 known 1926 Tula M91's in existence. All three are Finnish captured. Yours has the lowest serial, the highest is 3157. Like yours, mine is also on a recycled receiver. The Soviets were most likely being industrious and using up spare parts that year. I have always been fascinated by the 1920's production M91's. Knowing that it was captured by Finland in the Winter or Continuation War makes it even cooler.

Matt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Author of The Finnish Mosin-Nagant: Three Line Rifle to Ukko Pekka (For sale below)
The Finnish Mosin-Nagant
Homer2

Post by Homer2 »

Thanks Matt. The late Tula M91s seem much more common than Izhevsk, though. I have a 1919 Izhevsk M91, but haven't really seen one later than a 1920 (if I recall). Production figures state Izhevsk made M91s through 1926 as well, but they are simply not out there. Big Hammer 1919 Tulas are much sought after, but I've seen more of those for sale than late Izhevsk rifles.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
neal45

Post by neal45 »

I have never seen a 1920s M91 Izhevsk. Just lots of Dragoons.

The 26 Tula is a beauty, Homer.