1953 Romanian M44 All matching "Showcase Submission"

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

1953 Romanian M44 All matching "Showcase Submission"

Post by Rongo »

As many of you may know I'm into collecting the M44 with a strong interest in the Post WWII Com-Bloc offerings. One of my goals was to acquire every year of the Romanian M44 & I've been missing the rarest of the years until now. I've been looking & missing out on 6 rifles over the past 5 years but lucked out on getting this one, the rarest year M44 to ever come out of Romania.

Romanian Production Numbers
The numbers may never be truly known, but the most accurate count to date is;

1953- Best estimates are between 2,000 – 3,000
1954- 36,000
1955- 31,000

Got it yesterday & cleaned it this afternoon. A 1953 Romanian M44, all original stamped-matching numbers with Romanian marked stock as well as most all parts original Romanian marked. The bore is fairly good, it's been used but not abused & overall it's in very good original non-refurbished condition. Now I can chalk off another of my gotta haves off the list.

I'll just let the pictures tell the story. :vcool:

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
SA1911a1

Re: 1953 Romanian M44

Post by SA1911a1 »

Nice rifle, and nice find. Way to go! :clap:
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

Very nice. :D :D :D
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

Don't know where you guys come up with sources for these rare rifles. I've got to get out in the world and find some of this stuff. All they seem to have in my area is arsenal refurb M91/30s. I was lucky to get two M44's, one of which my dealer ordered through AIM. I really would like to find one like this and maybe a Polish gun, because every one of those I have seen looks like it is brand new. Great looking rifle; congrats on your find. :clap:
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Super :clap: :clap: :clap: :vcool: :vcool: Looks like a clean one. Nice :Drool1:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Very nice Rongo! I have yet to see a Romanian in person. I've found Poles and Huns, Russian of course, but no Rommies. You've done well in your quest!

Congrats!
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

Very nice Rongo, and welcome to a very exclusive club, you have the 1,842nd produced Romanian M44, and the 843rd of the 2nd production pre-fix. :toast:
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

Very nice. And even more special because you had to wait to track one down.

I'm wondering what the Romanian by me is now... I know it's a mix master, but it might be worth getting if it's a '53.
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I am wondering just what gun isn't by you pac. :lol: :lol: I bet if you looked at the net for the one you want youwould go out the door and it would fall on you. :lol:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

desdem12 wrote:I am wondering just what gun isn't by you pac. :lol: :lol: I bet if you looked at the net for the one you want youwould go out the door and it would fall on you. :lol:
I know where there's a nice Chilean 1895 Mauser if you're interested. It just walked into the gunshop today.
I already have one or... :D
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
Fred_G

Post by Fred_G »

Nice looking rifle. Congrats on finding one you have been looking for.
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Nice Rommey Rongo! Don't ya just love it when a plan comes together. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Congrats. Filling out a set can be very gratifying. I've come close, but never seem to seal the deal. My next NEW (on the way!) will get me one step closer. Missing only the small curved logo.

Guns with small production numbers, like your '53 Romanian, will really stick in your mind. You'll always remember how this one came to the fold.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Ron, when I see how nice this one is it's kind of hard to believe the guy wanted to sell it, don't you think? I wonder if he still has the other 2? Great grab for sure.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

bunkysdad wrote:Ron, when I see how nice this one is it's kind of hard to believe the guy wanted to sell it, don't you think? I wonder if he still has the other 2? Great grab for sure.
Thanks. I think he still does have the other two. Give him a shout. #'s matching Romanian M44's
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Had the day off today & emptied out a few safes, did inspections, wipe-downs with oily silicone rag, to be expected fondling, sorted the carbines & took some group photo's. Got a few here below.

First picture is my three #'s matching Romanian M44's;

Top to Bottom;
1953 Romanian
1954 Romanian
1955 Romanian

Next is ALL the Romanians together;
Top to Bottom;
1955 (My first ever Mosin)

The Collection is now Complete.
:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:

"Dang that entropy"
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:Drool1: :Drool1: :wow: :Drool1: :thumbsup: :vcool: :vcool:
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Nicely done Rongo :clap:

Very impressive my friend!
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
Sgt. Rob

Post by Sgt. Rob »

Congratulations on completing the set! Very nice! Was wondering about the leather sling? Whats the info on that?

Semper Fi, Rob
My Mosin-Nagant arsenal.........is growing again
1938 Tula
1943 Izhevsk M91/30 PU Sniper
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Sgt. Rob wrote:Congratulations on completing the set! Very nice! Was wondering about the leather sling? Whats the info on that?

Semper Fi, Rob
It's actually a Romanian M56 Leather sling... But it wasn't uncommon for these to be imported on Romanian M44's. The sling came with the 54 M44 from the distributor & I plan to leave it on there. :wink:

"Dang that entropy"