US Surcharged N.E.W. Model 1891

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
martin08

US Surcharged N.E.W. Model 1891

Post by martin08 »

I had presented this rifle a few weeks before the Showcase was established, so I'm adding another post for those who would appreciate a peek at an American Classic that was never meant to be American.

Presenting the U.S. Surcharged New England Westinghouse (NEW) Mosin Nagant M91 Three Line Rifle in 7.62X54R.

Although date stamped as 1915, this one falls into the serial number range of the final 200,000 units that were built in 1918. Long after the government of Tsar Nicholas of Russia defaulted on payment in early 1917, the US Government contracted NEW for the additional surcharged rifles to keep the workforce intact while the arsenal transitioned to the production of Browning machine guns. Mine is serial numbered in the 1.3mil range, and some have been noted to go up through the 1.5mil serial range. Units with much earlier serial numbers (1.1mil) have also been noted to be stamped with US markings, but may have still been produced under the old Russian Contract, and not shipped to the Tsar.

The US Surcharged Mosins that were produced were stamped with the US Eagle and Flaming Ordnance Bomb stamps in the metal and stock, and the English Contract cartouche in the left side buttstock. While a great many of these guns were sent to England and supplied as secondary arms for the Polar Bear Expedition (American and Allied intervention of the Russian Civil War, also known as the Archangel Expedition), or were commissioned in the Spanish Civil War, many of these guns remained in the US to be used as police, National Guard, or military drill/training guns. In the early 1920's, the NRA also bought a large percentage of the Mosins. These were mostly sporterized and converted to 30-06 caliber. Some of the markings of this final production run are as follows.

The English Contract cartouche.

A good link for a little historical perspective.

http://www.texastradingpost.com/militaria/usmosin.html

The NEW is one of the few, if not the only Mosin Nagant, to be originally manufactured without matching fonts on its serial numbered parts. Though unusual for its Russian manufactured cousins, it is consistent to find all original matching NEW's with the following font variations on the barrel shank, bolt, and buttplate. Magazine floorplates were not numbered at the factory.

While large amount of NEW's were sent overseas or sporterized, a number of these guns stayed intact. And a few, a very select few, got packed away in cosmoline, stored, or forgotten in the dark closet. One of them popped up on Gunbroker in mid-December 2011, and was very poorly labeled as a "Westinghouse 91/30" with no mention of Mosin Nagant at all. I happened to spy it, and stayed on the bid until it was mine. $710 was not too much to pay. I don't know what it would have brought if it was properly presented, but needless to say, this gun has become the envy of Mosin Nagant buffs with what is unanimously referred to as, "The freaking nicest Mosin Nagant I've ever seen!" I still gaze upon it in awe, and there are many other nice Mosins in the vault.

The words "unissued", "original matching", "non-refurbished", or "as built" are ones that can't often apply - wiped of outside cosmoline, and now in my collection. And more words won't add anything to the presentation of this New England Westinghouse Mosin Nagant M91. So, here are the pics.

Enjoy them thoroughly, Gentlemen. Thanks for looking.

Left side.

Right side.

Some random shots.

No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
BuckeyeSgt

Re: US Surcharged N.E.W. Model 1891

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

That there is a gem. They were all dated 1915 correct?
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
lthilsdorf

Post by lthilsdorf »

That's a classic one martin08. Thanks for sharing again! This rifle is a great example of what an original, factory fresh M91 would have looked like. Not many examples of those left, and I haven't seen many (if any) such examples posted online. Why isn't this already in the Showcase forum? Ha!
A Comprehensive Guide to the Spanish Civil War Mosin Nagant

Feel free to message me to contribute to my site!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Mine eyes have seen the glory.....nice to see it again Martin, American al the way this one :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
martin08

Post by martin08 »

lthilsdorf wrote:That's a classic one martin08. Thanks for sharing again! This rifle is a great example of what an original, factory fresh M91 would have looked like. Not many examples of those left, and I haven't seen many (if any) such examples posted online. Why isn't this already in the Showcase forum? Ha!
This was first posted before the showcase, and wasn't in the informative/historical configuration for showcase consideration.

If anyone would like to add some insight or other pertinent links, I can edit before it is transferred.
MadisonAV

Post by MadisonAV »

Martin

Great Mosin Nagant, and outstanding photography. It certainly has my vote for the Showcase.

Madison
MN#1 - Finnish M39 - 1941 - More when it arrives ...
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

What a nice rifle. I see the Americans had the good taste to center the bolt in the beautiful walnut stock.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

:Drool1:

:toast:
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

Another fine example Martin. Thanks for sharing and a Really Big Thanks for letting me show my wife and say..."see I could be like Martin......." :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

She's gorgeous Martin, likely the most amazing Mosin I will ever see. It is truly the King of those we collect. You did an amazing job hunting it down, reading between the lines and giving it a proper home for an amazing price!

I have heard the term "Three Line Rifle" before, but didn't know what it meant. I did some quick reading and research just now. I do have one tiny tidbit of pretty fascinating information for you (maybe you know this already). When these rifles were eventually offered to private citizens by the Director of Civilian Marksmanship, the price was $7.00 each!

Thanks for sharing this one!

Obviously my vote is showcase all the way!
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Nice Martin, beautiful very dark wood. I just had one of those Time Stood Still moments looking at that rifle. :thumbsup:
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

No question about this rifle, showcase for sure. Beautiful and my favorite color too.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

Once my pulse stops racing and my breathing slows, WOW! I also appreciate you sharing the price.
We have met the enemy and he is us.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Put that in there! Worthy by all means. I'll add the links to this thread once it's in.

thanks for sharing. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Thanks, Ron. It's submitted.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Approved & open for viewing... And the discussion links are now added to this thread as well. :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Sgt. Rob

Post by Sgt. Rob »

An absolutely wonderful showcase piece. Martin08, you can be my new best friend! For me that has been the unobtainable grail for close to 25yrs. Westinghouse and Remingtons are tough enough these days, but any with U.S. acceptance markings are just never encountred in most normal circles. If you can find a copy, I highly reccomend the book "Quartered in Hell, The story of the American North Russian Expeditionary Force." Most of these men were from Michigan and Wisconsin, and there is a great Museum in Lower Michigan, around Flint, I think that has alot of their artifacts. Its been many years since I was there though. I'll have to call my Mom as she lives not to far from it.

Semper Fi, Rob
My Mosin-Nagant arsenal.........is growing again
1938 Tula
1943 Izhevsk M91/30 PU Sniper
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

Finally got around to checking out the showcase again and I'm glad I did. That is one fine Mosin you have there, Martin! I admire your diligence at gunbroker. I have no doubt that you sift through a lot of commons before you hit on something special. The hunt has to be half the fun though.

:toast:
martin08

Post by martin08 »

I should have an interesting foreign sibling of this gun forthcoming in the next week or two. Stay tuned.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

That Gun is just so wonderful. I am amazed at the condition of it. All the cartouches and marks are excellant. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)