1954 Romanian M44

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

1954 Romanian M44

Post by Rongo »

The Romanian M44 is one of the more interesting & obscure Mosin Nagant variants. It’s overshadowed in prestige by the Soviet & Polish M44’s & beaten in shear production numbers by China & Hungary.
Production of the Romanian M44 Carbine began in 1953 & ended in 1955… with approximately 70,000 units made making it one of the rarest Mosin Nagant variant’s ever produced.

Romanian Production Numbers
The numbers may never be truly known, but the most accurate count to date is;

1953- 2,000 – 3,000
1954- 36,000
1955- 31,000

A consideration for the low Production numbers ties in with Romania itself. Romania was one of the poorer Communist Bloc Nations & it can be reflected on the limited amount of arms they could manufacture. Another consideration is that many of the surplus Soviet Mosin Nagant’s were shipped to Romania with the introduction of the SKS & the Kalashnikov…Thus giving Romania little need of new production arms using an obsolete design. In fact, a majority of the Romanian M44’s on the Surplus market are a mix mastered mess of Soviet & Comm. Bloc parts… Very convincing evidence that Romania was using leftover parts in their M44 production.
Of course this makes an interesting goal to Collectors…. To find an ALL matching Romanian M44.

Romanian Markings

Romanian M44's at a glance look very similar to the Soviet Izhevsk. The Izhevsk proof is an arrow in a triangle while the Romanian proof is a arrowhead in a triangle, Also, The upper barrel shank proof of the Romanian M44 is a wreath with the letters RPR ( Romanian People's Republic ) while the Izhevsk is a Wreath with Hammer and Sickle… Making Romanian M44’s easily mistaken for an Izhevsk. Romanian Stocks have a C in a diamond proof marking making them easily identifiable & have little to no wood grain to them making them look rather plain.

1954 Romanian M44
The below example is a 1954 model with all matching numbers on the barrel, receiver, magazine plate, bolt & buttplate. The stock has the Romanian C in a diamond proof, The Barrel bands, cleaning rod & bolt are all Romanian. The stock wears a heavy coat of shellac as is common on Romanian examples. The bore is like new with no counterbore, the blued finish is deep & lustrous. The Rifle is wearing a Romanian SKS sling... A common occurrence for many of these to be imported wearing one. There is a bit of a rough finish on the buttplate... damages look consistent with being set roughly on the ground. But otherwise minus a bit of shellac peeling on the stock, this example is in very fine condition.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
desdem12

Re: 1954 Romanian M44

Post by desdem12 »

1 for yes
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Rongo,

Copy and paste that into the showcase. It definitely belongs there. Your presentation was really nice...the photos, write up and history on the rifle were all very well done. I enjoyed reading the history and actually learned something. That's an amazing rifle! Thank you for sharing it!

Now quick, use those Admin-ly powers and move it to where it belongs :)
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

:Drool1: ya that belongs in the showcase. Great info, pics and rifle. I think an extensive write up like that is key for consideration.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
martin08

Post by martin08 »

I would hope to add one half that nice to my collection!
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

Is this the comment thread?
That was a great presentation and pictorial, Rongo. Beautiful rifle and I learned a lot about the markings. Thanks for posting :)
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

That is a beautiful rifle.

Mine aren't nearly that nice, but I was lucky to stumble onto a pair of Romanians this past summer for a good deal. One had a cracked handguard, the other a crack in the stock, both of which repaired nicely. $79.00 each......
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
crwjr

1954 Romanian M44

Post by crwjr »

I vote yes put it in the show case! I learned a lot from your story thank you!
”A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.”
~George Washington
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Showcase it is... Thanks guys. :wink:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

Very nice rongoman. I saw a Romanian and a Polish M44 at the show this weekend. Both tagged for $275 Neither was as nice as yours. I have passed on some of these in the past. I may just have to pick them up next time. Never thought of them as "Uncommon" :ugeek:
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Great example and writeup, it belongs in the showcase.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

Gorgeous! :clap:
The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nice one Ron, I have to look at mine and see if it's the same year, that one's new also, got it on the old forum some years ago now. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
finloq

Post by finloq »

Just to piggy back on what Ron was saying about the production numbers, I have been collecting Romanina M44 prefix numbers by year for a while. I should be getting pretty close to the end (but, never say die).

1953 - AX, CP
1954 - AL, CP, BD, BH, BZ, DP, DX, ET, FS, GR, GV, HU, KM, MD, RF, SK, TV, UZ, VZ
1955 - AB, AC, AL, BC, BD, BE, BF, CA, CD, DF, EC, LD, LE, MC, TV, YA, YE, ZX

Carry over prefix sets from year to year:

CP - 1953, 1954
TV - 1954, 1955
BD - 1954, 1955

I have 36 prefixes.
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

What is the significance of the prefixes?
finloq

Post by finloq »

bunkysdad wrote:What is the significance of the prefixes?
Keys to unlocking the universe, well...the Romanian universe.
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

finloq wrote:
bunkysdad wrote:What is the significance of the prefixes?
Keys to unlocking the universe, well...the Romanian universe.
I'll second that. The Romanian M44 is one of my favorites... Their low production numbers & obscurity make them very intriguing. you have 36 of the Prefix's??? It's hard enough to find many in good quality but to acquire that many? A master accomplishment.

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

A lot of time and effort I am sure, it took me several years just to acquire all the Izhevsk dates of the M44, and that was at a time when they were coming into the country in good numbers, and I could pick and choose.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:A lot of time and effort I am sure, it took me several years just to acquire all the Izhevsk dates of the M44, and that was at a time when they were coming into the country in good numbers, and I could pick and choose.
Yeah, try doing that now... Even with an unlimited budget. The pickings are slim....

"Dang that entropy"
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I am just happy to find a carbine let alone a romanian. These are nice. There seems to be a lot of huns in my hood. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)