Interesting C&R license question

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
BostonMike

Interesting C&R license question

Post by BostonMike »

I'm moving, but my new residence is much too small for my safe. Plus I can't carry it up four flights of stairs.

The address listed on my C&R...does that need to be my primary living address?

My collection will stay at my parents house where my safe is. This is the address listed on the license. I have full access to this house and prefer any c&rs I buy to ship there.

But I will not live there.

Technically only 2 firearms fall under the requirements since most of my c&rs were purchased before the license. So in a pinch, I could have them in a locked case in my condo in short time.

Do I change the address on my license to my new address?

Or do I leave it as is considering any new purchases would ship to old address?

What would you do?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Re: Interesting C&R license question

Post by Darryl »

The address will be where you take possession (from UPS or FED Ex or Mail) of your firearms.

It does not have to be your "legal residence".

Case in point. It is legal to have two CC&R licenses at the same time. The BATF has issued them. One for here in California, and one for me in Nevada at my brothers address.

This is legal to do. Why you ask, well....Calif won't allow me to buy a C&R handgun and have it sent to me in California. It must go through a 01FFL dealer. However, they will allow me to buy a C&R handgun while I am out of state and hand carry it back to Calif or UPS it to myself back to California. Why...I don't know, they just get things screwed up. So BATF allows me to have two licenses. One at my brother address in Nevada. I have them shipped to Nevada (a requirement of Calif), I then go to Nevada and pick it up and carry it back into Calif. Everyone is happy...stupid...I know.

I have also heard of people in apartments where the owners will not allow you to have a firearms license. The use their parents address.

I'm not a lawyer, so do this............call BATF and ask them. They will be happy to respond, but remember, they may tell you something different than the truth because frankly....they don't always know the rules. So try to call as high up as possible and not a local branch office.

D
redeuce

Post by redeuce »

Just remember that all firearms you buy will have to be shipped to the address on the license. So you're cooked if you don't want your parents to know what you're doing....................
BostonMike

Post by BostonMike »

Not a big deal. My dads a shooter too. He loves the M44.

The two locations are literally a 1/2 mile apart. I just don't want to bother with moving my safe.

I plan on buying a permanent home in 2-3 years. Then I'll move them.

desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Just have them sent to you and take them back to your safe. I had mine changed to my new address and it took about week if that. It was really quick. I did email the batf first though and they sent me the forms and an address. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
BostonMike

Post by BostonMike »

I think I'm going to just change the address.

In MA we need to show a LTC to purchase a firearm. I want both to have the same address for FTF deals, so I'll just change it.