Spanish Civil War Mosin

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Greasemonkey

Spanish Civil War Mosin

Post by Greasemonkey »

This is a '35 Tula Spanish Civil War Mosin. Most of these came in to the country in the early '60's. The import mark is simply, Made in U.S.S.R. stamped on the receiver, some were stamped Made in U.R.R.S., typo or not, the debate continues. It also has two other SCW traits, a remaining rear wire sling hanger and a heavily sanded stock. The wire type sling hangers are known to break when rebent for removal, which is possibly what happened to the front one. The stock as you will see is very rough and course, the forestock is sanded enough that the barrel bands are loose, the front is only held in place by the spring latch. Absolutely nothing matches on this rifle, which I understand due to Spain's armoury is normal also. It is also common to find a blade style front sight and a handguard with no metal end caps on these, but the standard M91/30 front sight can be found also. The SCW Mosins dated '36 and '37, based on what I have been told, were taken directly off the production lines and shipped to Spain, there are however a few with known with dates earlier.

This Spanish Civil War lasted from July of '36 to April of'39. The Soviets along with Mexico supported the Republican Government, Nazi Germany, Italy and Portugal supported the Nationalists. In the end, the Nationalists won over the Republicans. Also, the Republicans were persecuted by the Nationalists at the end of the battle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Greasemonkey on Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Spanish Civil War Mosin

Post by Jumperwire »

Nice. I have never run across one of these.
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Very nice Greasemonkey :thumbsup: Wondering if Mexico had any Mosins shipped to them that they put their marks on :?:
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

redspoon wrote:Very nice Greasemonkey :thumbsup: Wondering if Mexico had any Mosins shipped to them that they put their marks on :?:
I don't believe so, I have yet to hear about a Mexican Mosin, but with the way arms float and travel around the world, I'm sure there are some there.
Sgt. Rob

Post by Sgt. Rob »

That is a great rifle, and not frequently encountred! Thank you very much for posting the pics! Wonder if Hemingway was ever near it??

Semper Fi, Rob
My Mosin-Nagant arsenal.........is growing again
1938 Tula
1943 Izhevsk M91/30 PU Sniper
lthilsdorf

Post by lthilsdorf »

Nice rifle. I love Spanish Civil War Mosin Nagants (if my website hadn't already made that clear, haha!). Yours is a good representation of many different SCW features, as you already made clear. Did you ever happen to look under the buttplate? That's a new place to check that I've been pushing, as I only recently came across a not often recorded probable SCW marking in the the form of an "MI8" stamped under it.

Thanks for sharing, as I always like to see SCW rifles!
A Comprehensive Guide to the Spanish Civil War Mosin Nagant

Feel free to message me to contribute to my site!
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I missed out on one recently that went for a great deal. I will grab one when I get the right chance. This one looks nice.
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

lthilsdorf wrote:Nice rifle. I love Spanish Civil War Mosin Nagants (if my website hadn't already made that clear, haha!). Yours is a good representation of many different SCW features, as you already made clear. Did you ever happen to look under the buttplate? That's a new place to check that I've been pushing, as I only recently came across a not often recorded probable SCW marking in the the form of an "MI8" stamped under it.

Wow :shock: I missed your website before. Looks nice. I think I may feel another addiction coming on. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Jumperwire wrote:
lthilsdorf wrote:Nice rifle. I love Spanish Civil War Mosin Nagants (if my website hadn't already made that clear, haha!). Yours is a good representation of many different SCW features, as you already made clear. Did you ever happen to look under the buttplate? That's a new place to check that I've been pushing, as I only recently came across a not often recorded probable SCW marking in the the form of an "MI8" stamped under it.

Wow :shock: I missed your website before. Looks nice. I think I may feel another addiction coming on. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Same here.... Nice & rough old SCW GM!!!! :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Cool look to that rifle, looks like my Soviet issued Mosins with all the shellac worn off, when I lemon oil the bare wood it takes on that look yours has. Very nice :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I have never seen one quite like that. That is sure a pretty stock in the shape it is in. :vcool: :vcool: :Drool1:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

It was lthilsdorf's website I learned alot about the history of these, great site by the way. As of yesterday, it will remain in it's original configuration. :thumbsup: It was in the other stock because the original has a very small crack in the wrist, but I figured since it doesn't get much range time, it should be in it's original form. The stock, if I had to guess, seems to be an oil finish, maybe linseed oil or something similar???? I haven't seen any of these for sale lately, other than what floats thru Gunbroker from time to time, I bought this one from a local fellow for $90.

Glad you all enjoyed it :toast:

I will check under the butt plate for a "MI8" or other marking.
Shawnc

Post by Shawnc »

Greasemonkey wrote:
redspoon wrote:Very nice Greasemonkey :thumbsup: Wondering if Mexico had any Mosins shipped to them that they put their marks on :?:
I don't believe so, I have yet to hear about a Mexican Mosin, but with the way arms float and travel around the world, I'm sure there are some there.
There are, I've seen them. They are marked "SA" which I think is some kind of Mexican slang... :biggrin:
Food for five years. A thousand gallons of gas. Air filtration. Water filtration. Geiger counter. Bomb shelter...underground goddamn monsters?!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Mexican Mosins , no, Mexico was real fond of the Mauser rifle design, both imported them, and made them at home.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Nice find and nice price GM! I like the rugged look and it appears ready for whatever comes up.

Congrats on a nice addition to your collection :)
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

Yes, that's a nice variation that I'd like to run into. :thumbsup:
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

Since lthilsdorf asked, here is an under the butt plate shot, there are a few stamps, but I don't have a clue to the meaning.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lthilsdorf

Post by lthilsdorf »

Thanks Greasemonkey! I always look under the buttplate of every Mosin Nagant I buy, as you never know what you might find. I've found markings similar to your's under on some of my rifles, but I'm positive they are Soviet in origin. But it's always worth it to check, especially on these SCW Mosin Nagants.

It's a fine rifle Greasemonkey! Glad you put her back in the original stock. Alot of people assume that a sanded stock on a SCW rifle is the work of bubba, but it's not always the case!
A Comprehensive Guide to the Spanish Civil War Mosin Nagant

Feel free to message me to contribute to my site!
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Btt so some of the new members can check this out. :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Celt

Post by Celt »

I love it! That's a great rifle. I've never seen one of those. Thanks G.M
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!