1943 Izhevsk Mosin Nagant Sniper

All Military Snipers are discussed here!

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
dkennedy

1943 Izhevsk Mosin Nagant Sniper

Post by dkennedy »

So got mine from AIM like the rest of you guys. Rifle seems to be in great shape overall, need to get out and shoot it, but it has been miserably hot here. Mostly close up pictures, interested in some translation if anyone can help, jsut so I know exactly what it is I have :D

Not sure who made the scope, or what the box with the cross in it means. Seems like the scope is built in the same year as the gun. Also it appears the stock bears marks from a refurb in 1947 and again in 1957, assuming that's what the boxes with the 47 and 57 in it means. Also there's two old stamps that only the remains can be seen in the rear of the stock, anyone have any idea what might have been there?
desdem12

Re: 1943 Izhevsk Mosin Nagant Sniper

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

BTW, thanks for all the great pics. Nice sniper.
I almost wish Aim had gotten back to me on time. I would have liked one.
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I'm not so sure you don't have a couple you're hiding PAc? :roll: :twisted: :lol: By now the prices of them all may have gone down. :thumbsup:
Are you mad at Pat that you have to call her Henry? :lol: I will say that an M39 is an M39 no mater if you send it to me or if i have it. So send em over :thumbsup:
By the way, how is that D shootin? You have been quiet since you got it so i am assuming it is taking up too much time policeing the brass from it :angry4: :lol:
Last edited by desdem12 on Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

They were apparently snipers at one point. All refurbs are real rifles with parts. Enjoy it and shoot it often. And give a range report! :thumbsup:
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

desdem12 wrote:I'm not so sure you don't have a couple you're hiding PAc? :roll: :twisted: :lol: By now the prices of them all may have gone down. :thumbsup:
Are you mad at Pat that you have to call her Henry? :lol: I will say that an M39 is an M39 no mater if you send it to me or if i have it. So send em over :thumbsup:
By the way, how is that D shootin? You have been quiet since you got it so i am assuming it is taking up too much time policeing the brass from it :angry4: :lol:
oops, I hate when I type the wrong word :redfaced: I meant Burns, Pat Henry is an old friend of mine :oops:
The D, the D... which one is that :vconfused: I haven't been paying much attention to my latest two Mosins. I've been playin' with other stuff :D
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I don't want to know about what you been playing with Pac :lol: I do know that you have been swimming in the world of US milsurp snipers :D No arguments there, the best of the best, the tools used by the finest military force in the history of the world :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

:lol:

Well last night I repaired the bolt knob on the Swiss 96/11 I picked up last week. Seems I'm always "playing" with something :bwink:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I have to do that to my 96/11 soon, who had the replacement rubber parts?
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

Ebay has repop knobs.
I repaired mine with Acraglas. It was actually a good color match until I sanded part of the original knob and took away the brown exterior. It looks better in person though, instead of under the harsh lighting.

warning: going OT here :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

That's pretty neat PAc!! :vcool: :vcool: I meant that M1D you got a while ago, Sniper? :thumbsup:
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

M1D, B barrel... I can't keep all these letters straight :vconfused: :lol:
BTW, tonight I was shooting my FN FAL STG58 :bwink:

Thanks buddy. That Acraglas is amazing stuff. Next job is to repair that issued 91/30. I just got some syringes last week to flush out the cracks with alcohol before repairing them.
target

Post by target »

So what's up with these things? Are these originals or did the Russians cobble these together later after the war? The main reason I ask is because the funky markings towards the back of the receiver. It looks real and it looks nice but are they real?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The conclusion is that as yet we don't have the answers, there has been a lot of dazzling with bullshit going on, but no absolute solid documentable history on this batch of PU's. Check some of the other threads on the subject if you want to read all the arguing, personally I am tired of it and don't give a rats ass as I don't own one, and have no plans on getting involved with any of the characters selling them.
Theodore Roosevelt
dkennedy

Post by dkennedy »

I've got 3 now from this batch. They all bear similar characteristics, but still, nothing I've found makes me doubt the very reliable sources, (Vic and Tuco) that these are what they appears. They have been refurbed over the years, and if my guess is correct, most are marked with the dates of refurb on the stock and steel. My current 3 all have war time stocks, and war time pieces and parts. The optics are war time optics in every case. If they aren't the real deal, then someone spent more money attempting to fake them then would make any sense.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

"and if my guess is correct, most are marked with the dates of refurb on the stock and steel."

Well, if that is true, the Russians have never did that to any of the sniper or any of their m91/30 rifles or M44 and M38 refurbished carbines during refurbishment before. Why would these have it now? Just one more inconsistency that this batch of snipers has as opposed to "known refurbishment" practices that show on all other Mosins.

Again.......

The parts are real....no question.

The question is, who refurbished or "put them together"?

If the arsenals refurbished the rifles, then they are real sniper and correct.

If the parts were purchased from the arsenals and then "put together", then that is more like the early Century imports. They would be snipers made from real parts, but more like a Frankenstein, not arsenal refurbished. That is what we are waiting to see proof of.

So you may say what is the different if "put together or arsenal refurbished? The big difference is who did it. The next difference is there is evidence that the arsenals tried to keep the barrel, receiver, magazine, butt plate, stock, scope base, scope mount, and scope all together during refurbishment process. This is why the electro pencil on the mounts and such. If they are put togethers, they are just lots of parts assembled into a sniper variation (Frankenstein if you will), and not done by the arsenals. It is very possible that these are the parts left over from the refurbishment process of the refurbished snipers. Maybe...maybe not. This is what the quality of the work on the ones that have been posted looks like. It also explains the inconsistent practices seen on the last batch. But that is speculation until someone come forth and shows some proof.

No one (not Vic or Tuco) have that answer. Only Molot and they seem to refuse to answer that question. They have seen the crates of rifles, but no one knows the story. Not fully, and no one is going to further any rumors here. I have already stated this. Move on till the proof comes.

If they are (worst case) put together by someone from real parts (say like Molot), then they are as much a sniper as the early Century "put together" snipers, and will be valued at that same level.

If you don't know what an early Century import "put together" sniper is, then you should go study more.

Dolk