Stevens Model 238A Bolt-action 20 Ga.

Everything shotgun discussed here.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Stevens Model 238A Bolt-action 20 Ga.

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Numrich buys parts daily, you need to check back with them every few weeks. Other than that I would keep searching gunbroker.com in case someone lists the parts you need.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I couldn't say without having it in hand, Stevens made a lot of firearms. I picked up a bolt action Mossberg 12 gauge last summer, in like new condition from 1954, the are nice guns.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I wonder if the appropriate year Shooters Bible would have exploded views and part numbers? Or Numerich Arms schematics perhaps? By the way, I have one of these in 410. A stevens 58A, bolt action, and tube magazine. Very fun to shoot skeet, even with full choke and 410, you can smoke some clays.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

pics?
Theodore Roosevelt
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

I'm not familiar with these and am not sure what the problem is but I just looked at the two guns you mentioned back in Oct. asking if the 238A and 258A were the same bolts. I opened both parts pages for them and they are virtually the same lists. Both bolt bodies are the same number. Here's another option for parts. http://www.jackfirstgun.com/order.php You have to know what you want by part name though. They don't have online catalogs. Nice ladies and very helpful and patient. It would appear that the 238A, 258A, 258AB and 258B are all the same. They sell the parts schematic for all 4 as the same one. http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/PDF0443.htm

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacture ... -41294.htm

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacture ... -41299.htm
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Not bad looking, I have the 12 gauge version made in 1954, I forget the model, found it at the flea market looking like it was never shot.
Theodore Roosevelt
351mustang65

Post by 351mustang65 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Not bad looking, I have the 12 gauge version made in 1954, I forget the model, found it at the flea market looking like it was never shot.
I also have a 12GA version of it (Stevens Model 58) that I believe to have been made in 1954. I picked it up for $50 back in Sep.

Sweet old gun. I do wish I could get a little bit bigger magazine for it but from what I have seen even to just get a extra mag would cost as much or more then I payed for the whole gun and that's if you can even find one.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Mine is a Mossberg, I forget the Model, it was a first year production model made for I think just a year, it spent it's life in a closet and still looks new. One of the deals were a guy wants to take up hunting, buys a odd ball shotgun from a gunshop that pushes it on the new guy to be rid of it, then the guy finds out hunting is work and gives it up. Yet waits half a century to sell the gun.
It's a Model 195 Bolt Action Repeater Made 1954-1955, I remembered :)
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Mine is a Mossberg, I forget the Model, it was a first year production model made for I think just a year, it spent it's life in a closet and still looks new. One of the deals were a guy wants to take up hunting, buys a odd ball shotgun from a gunshop that pushes it on the new guy to be rid of it, then the guy finds out hunting is work and gives it up. Yet waits half a century to sell the gun.
It's a Model 195 Bolt Action Repeater Made 1954-1955, I remembered :)
Theodore Roosevelt
rice paddy daddy

Post by rice paddy daddy »

This is my first time on here in a while, I kinda forgot about the forum. That's pretty shameful, I know.
But I'm glad I did - I love old shotguns, especially bolt actions. Right now on layaway at my local gunshop (actually a retired neighbor who operates out of his barn)I have an H&R Game Gun Model 120, 16 ga.bolt action, tube magazine fed.
When it's fully mine, it will join a Mossberg 85D (20 ga,bolt action, detachable mag, 1941-1946) and a Mossberg 183KE (.410, bolt action, C-Lect choke, 2 round blind magazine, 1968-1971).

Thank you to all the guys who keep these old guns alive.
Member: Veterans of Foreign Wars, Vietnam Veterans of America, American Legion, AMVETS, Society of the 5th Infantry Division