HSB identification

Everything shotgun discussed here.
Dragon48

HSB identification

Post by Dragon48 »

Back again with something different. I just picked up a wall hanger, Hibbard Spencer Bartlet double barrel. I need some help identifying the manufacturer and date. I understand that these were brand name guns and many were manufactured by Cresent. The serial number is 226669 and marches on the barrel and receiver. On the left side it says H.B.S &Co and has the image of a rooster and "Chicago". Any thoughts on value would be appreciated. My guess is that factory new condition is about $125. This one isn't but its not bad, really.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I think the Johnnys are getting rattled; they are afraid of our repeating rifles. They say we are not fair, that we have guns that we load up on Sunday and shoot all the rest of the week."
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: HSB identification

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

H&D Folsom Gun Co made lots of shotguns for hardware chains and under various trade names in the 1890's -1920. Crescent firearms company was part of it and all of it was folded up into Stevens by the time the Depression rolled around. If it has flat mainsprings in the locks it's made before 1900, coil spring main's would be later production. These were basic working guns of that era, if that is a true "coach" size 20" barrel then it's quite a find, many were made from bird gun barrels. I pick these up for around $200 in good shape these days. I have a video someplace.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Dragon48

Post by Dragon48 »

Very, very nice. Quite a bit of similarity to mine.

Looking it over some more, I noticed that inside the rooster image is "RUSO". The left barrel is stamped GENUINE ARMORY STEEL CHOKE BORED. It has a latching forend. The action lever is pretty loose but it seems to lock up okay. Do I have to disassemble anything to tell what kind of spring? The barrel measures 18.25 from stem to stern. The bead sight looks to be original but is just like the one on my Mossberg. Not sure if there's any tool /cut marks on the barrel, but the bluing (browning) is mostly intact except for a couple of rust spots. Could be the bead sight was tapped and reset. Also got a vintage box of Remington 16 ga shells and a 24 of 25 box of Federals.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I think the Johnnys are getting rattled; they are afraid of our repeating rifles. They say we are not fair, that we have guns that we load up on Sunday and shoot all the rest of the week."
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

These were made in a dizzying variety of barrel styles and length. Yours is regular steel, not twist, it's made for smokeless rounds. You will have to take it apart to see the springs. Once you have all the screws out you will need to tap the lock straight back gently to get it out. Good time to check for worn triggers and sears. If that barrel was cut down it was done right, short barrel guns were sold to LEO's, RR guards, and so on, coach gun. New names are always turning up on these, this is the first I have seen of HSB on one, but then if you paid them the company would put your own name on it if you wanted. Very nice 50's era ammo .
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The Italians call this style of gun a Lupara, it is very popular in the hills of Sicily.
Theodore Roosevelt
Dragon48

Post by Dragon48 »

Maybe I'll tackle it over the weekend. Looks like the left hammer doesn't strike quite as firmly as the right. No matter to me, I'll probably not shoot it, although I might try the right side with the Federal. I want to keep the a Remington box intact. I've been scoring some unusual pieces lately. Prices on Backpage are ludicrous on AR's and ammo. A real buying frenzy on all that stuff. As a result some of these rather unusual pieces are slipping the notice of the panic buyers all trying to get their "assault weapons". Not sure the panic buyers would be looking at this stuff anyway. I've been quietly loading my 9mm and being as patient as possible, waiting to get some .223 bullets. Probably go to the indoor range next week and test my Rainier HP's. they look nice and I'm hoping they chamber easier in my relatively fresh XD9 than the Midways do.

Also scored a nice S & W Victory 38 special. I'll have to post pics on it this weekend too. I carried one in the Corps, believe it or not.
Dragon48

Post by Dragon48 »

Wasn't one of the body guards in Corleone Sicily, carrying something like these DB's in The Godfather ?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Dragon48 wrote:Wasn't one of the body guards in Corleone Sicily, carrying something like these DB's in The Godfather ?
Yes, he was , they use them for "Rabbit " hunting, but the Mafia found other uses for them. :twisted:
S&W Victory, nice revolver, your basic .38 special, I recall hearing that these were issued to Pilots even as late as Gulf 1. Hard to go wrong with one, easy to use and maintain.
Theodore Roosevelt
Dragon48

Post by Dragon48 »

I'll get some info and pics up on the Victory tomorrow. Yup, they were issuing them up until I retired in '91.
The literal translation of "Lupara" means "for the wolf". :biggrin:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Yea, I'm pretty sure it's only the Mafia that calls them that over there, over here we just call them coach guns. The Cowboy Action shooters would probably double or triple your money for that, a few of them have been sniffing around mine. I have a Hammerless version in 12 Gauge, stock rotted off long before I got it, I rigged up a pistol grip and keep it for close encounters.
Theodore Roosevelt
Dragon48

Post by Dragon48 »

Hadn't thought of the Cowboys. I want to enjoy it first, before I even think of selling it. I bought it to hang is my guest room, that is set up like an old timie western hotel room.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

They are not getting mine, or my 1897 Winchester either, or the 1878 Colt, all three are sought after.
Theodore Roosevelt
Dragon48

Post by Dragon48 »

Right on. No reason to greedy. When you have something you really wanted, keep it.