Smith & Wesson Victory

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Dragon48

Smith & Wesson Victory

Post by Dragon48 »

Picked up a pretty nice example of an early Victory in .38 Special. I believe it to be a late 1942 or perhaps early 1943. It has no US Property markings of any type. It is numbers matching on the frame, barrel and inside right grip. Research seems to indicate that it was an early issue to an agency or contractor for security guards. I don't think there were many Specials made early on as most seem to be .38. It has "231" stamped on the lower back strap. I'm wondering if that is indicative of the agency/entity it was issued to. The left grip is a different color and may have been a replacement. The inside left grip is not serialized as was often the custom, I'm led to believe. Parkerizing is in pretty good shape. Lockup,is tight but with a bit of a rotational wiggle in the cylinder. Timing is very good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I think the Johnnys are getting rattled; they are afraid of our repeating rifles. They say we are not fair, that we have guns that we load up on Sunday and shoot all the rest of the week."
Brian the Brit

Re: Smith & Wesson Victory

Post by Brian the Brit »

Looks nice ,
Have you used it yet ?
Dragon48

Post by Dragon48 »

Nope. Cleaned it up a bit this morning. Going to the range with it and a couple of other pistolas next Friday. With all this recent craziness, I'm trying to manage my ammo expenditure. Don't have much .38 special on hand.
"I think the Johnnys are getting rattled; they are afraid of our repeating rifles. They say we are not fair, that we have guns that we load up on Sunday and shoot all the rest of the week."
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nice looking revolver :) The 231 is probably an agency or company number.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Dragon48

Post by Dragon48 »

That's what I was thinking too. Probably have to go to S&W archives to get that. I think they want $50 for that. I'm a cheapskate.
Celt

Post by Celt »

Nice! Those are the nicest revolvers I've ever shot. I've got a model 10-5 in nickel that ticks like a Swiss watch.
Great catch!
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Dragon48

Post by Dragon48 »

Thanks. It's a very interesting piece. I carried an issue one in the Marine Corps right up til I retired n 91. Handling it was like coming home.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That letter from S&W should add at least $50-$100 to the value of the piece and any gunsmith worth their salt should be able to tighten the lockwork up for you. The S&W company would probably do it for you.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Dragon48

Post by Dragon48 »

Wow. Okay, I'll look into that. I tossed an inquiry via the S&W forum. I'll bring it to my gunsmith for a look. I'm not sure it's even bad. Just a little rotation. Not a budge fore and aft. He'll look at it for free. I'll just bring donuts.. Besides I need to brag on my little coach gun too.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Noble Sniper

Post by Noble Sniper »

Very nice revolver ;)
•"Was there ever a people whose leaders were as truly their enemies as this one?"
- Ernest Hemingway, For Whom the Bell Tolls

"....from my cold dead hands:
President Charleton Heston

"Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !! "
Dr. Strangelove
Dragon48

Post by Dragon48 »

Thanks Noble. Can't wait to shoot it this Friday.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Looks Good! :vcool: :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Dragon48

Post by Dragon48 »

Range report later this week!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Look forward to hearing how it shoots :)
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Brian the Brit

Post by Brian the Brit »

Nice Revolver , I want one :Drool1:
Dragon48

Post by Dragon48 »

It shot great for something just a few years older than me.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:lol:
Theodore Roosevelt